Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Recent Posts

Fish Whatcom Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Fishing Discussion / Re: PINK YEAR!!!!
« Last post by cohojake on May 25, 2017, 10:46:43 PM »
Did everyone see the agreed to fisheries at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/?  We get the normal July 16 opening on the Nooksack with a 4 pink limit!  Coho open starting Sept 1 in the lower river, as normal, but once again we must release "wild" coho (keep in mind like half of the hatchery fish are unclipped).  The Skagit Sockeye fishery opens earlier this year, July 11, but there are no fall fisheries planned on the Skagit including Coho and Pinks.  The best bet for big pinks will be to head down to the Snohomish, which as open as normal with a 3 fish limit, pinks or coho.  They have much redder meat than the Nooksack fish as well, but you will fight the crowds.
Fishing Reports / Re: 2017 Noosack thread
« Last post by Nick on May 23, 2017, 10:09:36 AM »
Sure, it's possible. If you're into going after bull trout (Dolly varden) the Skagit system is great. A lot of it requires a boat but there are plenty of places upstream to walk in as well. It's a bit of a drive from Bellingham but well worth it.
« Last post by cohojake on May 22, 2017, 09:37:59 PM »
The Skagit will be closed for Coho for sure.  But they are giving us a Sockeye season so maybe we'll get to fish the Pinks too...
The forecast for pinks on the Skagit is also terrible, so I wouldn't be surprised if the sockeye opening is all we get down there (plus the upriver opening for springers). I'm sure the Snohomish will be open for pinks, and we might get lucky on the Nooksack, if they aren't panicking over the spring/summer chinook returns to the South Fork.
« Last post by Salmon King on May 22, 2017, 08:51:46 PM »
The Skagit will be closed for Coho for sure.  But they are giving us a Sockeye season so maybe we'll get to fish the Pinks too...
« Last post by JimA on May 22, 2017, 11:21:46 AM »
  Thanks to both of you!     I need to get down to the confluence fly shop and talk to him, downfall is I work Saturdays and am off on Monday when he is closed.   I have been fly fishing for 25 years, but only have hit the local lakes around here, and head to Yakima for trout in the river.    Would love to find some good sized fish in the river or streams around here if that's possible? 

I just wonder if most would be trustworthy on a C&R late season?     
« Last post by Nick on May 22, 2017, 10:43:27 AM »
Cohojakes response answers the question well I think. They are seriously looking at a spring C&R season on the Skagit River for next year I believe. I don't know the details yet myself, but there is a lot of talk about this happening.

I think we can all agree that having a C&R season Feb-April would be fantastic, but unfortunately it seems like a long stretch right now to think it will happen anytime soon on the Nooksack.

For trout fishing- look to the upper reaches, like the upper South fork. It's fly fishing only up there.
« Last post by JimA on May 22, 2017, 09:08:36 AM »
  That all makes sense for sure.   What I see is we pay for the hatchery to catch and release fry so the salmon run can continue and the natives can keep raping I mean harvesting the river, and we reap the spoils of not being able to catch very little of the Salmon runs in the Nooksack. 
« Last post by cohojake on May 21, 2017, 05:40:55 PM »
Even in places where c&r is allowed for late winter fish, they generally cut it off during spawning time, which is now (and earlier).  The bigger obstacle on the Nooksack is negotiating a deal with the tribes that allows anglers to continue to fish for steelhead when the tribes cannot net.  The tribes always argue that a C&R only season still counts towards total "encounters" with wild fish.

Also, maybe a bigger issue right now, is that endangered spring chinook are returning to the Nooksack, both the North/Middle fork run and the really endangered South Fork run.  Good luck convincing WDFW or anyone that you won't touch any of these fish as incidental bycatch.  I don't think they'll see any difference between salmon and steelhead techniques.

As to trout fishing, the 2016/2017 regs are still in effect, and unless they introduce an emergency rule, you can look there for when trout fishing is open.  I see some tributaries open the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend, and portions open the first Saturday in June.
Fishing Reports / 2017 Noosack thread
« Last post by JimA on May 21, 2017, 11:44:49 AM »

So tell me why there isn't late winter Steelhead fishery going on now?    Make it fly fish only, catch and release could be a no brainer, there are some huge fish in there now.  I could tell you how I know that, but then Id have to kill you..   

Also anyone know what spring/summer trout fishing is like on the river specifically fly fishing and when it opens?    I would ask in the FF section, but just added the question here if anyone is in the know?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners