Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Favorite ways to cook salmon/steelhead - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Favorite ways to cook salmon/steelhead  (Read 8023 times)

gary

• View Profile
Re: Favorite ways to cook salmon/steelhead
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 07:06:04 PM »
no offense taken.  why release a hatchery steelhead?  our local hatcheries (talking about the nooksack and cascade here) need fish right now.   i have no problem releasing fish on the cascade, for example.  a four pound runt isnt a prized possession for me, but it might be for the hatchery.  they need a certain number of fish to keep the terminal zones open at this time of year.  if you dont feel the need to bring it home, let it go
DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS DIE.  EXECUTE THEM!

Brat Bonker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 08:16:59 PM »
no offense taken.  why release a hatchery steelhead?  our local hatcheries (talking about the nooksack and cascade here) need fish right now.   i have no problem releasing fish on the cascade, for example.  a four pound runt isnt a prized possession for me, but it might be for the hatchery.  they need a certain number of fish to keep the terminal zones open at this time of year.  if you dont feel the need to bring it home, let it go
The point of a hatchery fish is for the sport catch, that is why there are hundreds of hatcheries everywhere, to supply a fisheries with keepable fish and not to destroy the native stock. Another reason why we should keep clipped fish is that a hatchery fish spawning with a native fish is not the best idea for future runs. Hatcheries are just to support us and maybe make a buck off us, that is why it is called a meat fishery.

I do agree though releasing a smaller size hatchery fish is not a bad idea but we can all agree native steelhead should be released no matter hat the regs say.
A high school fishing machine
Rather be fishing than wishing and tying leaders kind of gets boring.

gary

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
your judgment is questionable sometimes.  why do you figure the nooksack stretch is closed right now?  also, tell me more about how hatcheries make a buck off us.  i dont need a newbie high schooler explaining to me the point of hatcheries.  no offense intended, i know this sounds rough
DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS DIE.  EXECUTE THEM!

Brat Bonker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 12:56:21 PM »
Lets get this straight, I am a newb when it comes to hatchery steelhead catching, but salmon fishing, I will out fish most people on any given day at my home rivers.
Second, I actually did a essay on hatchery steelhead stocking for my english class (don't ask me why) and I want to be a fisheries biologist after college.
Third, hatcheries still need fish to return so they don't need to pay for smolts from an out-of-area hatchery and the nooksack is closed because indian and commercial fisherman net the steelhead in the ocean and bays or what not. Nooksack, Skagit, and other nearby river just have poor returning rate year after year, I am surprised they have not closed the Cascade yet.
Forth, hatcheries can make a buck of us by all the licenses we buy go to the state, who keep our hatcheries open.

Gone-Fishin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 01:35:30 PM »

Third, hatcheries still need fish to return so they don't need to pay for smolts from an out-of-area hatchery

Might want to read up on Hatchery Reform

Forth, hatcheries can make a buck of us by all the licenses we buy go to the state, who keep our hatcheries open.

Hatcheries don't make a buck off of us, the license fee does not even come close to covering the cost of operation.  Wdfw has taken somewhere around $50 million reduction  from the general fund, that is why some of the hatcheries are on the chopping block

Brat Bonker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 04:38:33 PM »
I was just throwing what I thought out there but I guess I was wrong, but where does the general fund come from? Lead all the way and I am sure it has to start with either taxes or licences.
All I know for sure is that hatcheries want their fish to be caught for many reasons but do have certain ste egg count goals which might be like 100 fish or 50-100k eggs for hatchery reproduction.
But I have heard that must fish in the north puget sound come from a Chambers ck stock or something like that, that is why a fish from the skykomish look like a fish from the cascade.

Gone-Fishin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 04:51:36 PM »
I was just throwing what I thought out there but I guess I was wrong, but where does the general fund come from? Lead all the way and I am sure it has to start with either taxes or licences.

The general fund of WA state comes from many sources of taxes, that get redistributed to different agencies, WDFW being one of them . The license fee you pay is a small fraction of what the WDFW needs to operate.

Google WA Budget shortfall

Brat Bonker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »
I have read about the huge budget cuts and the closing of 7-11 hatcheries, 700 access sites, and the stocking of rivers that do not currently have a fish trap. But the article just was complaining about Olympias needs for money else where than recreation use.

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners