Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Archery/ Bow hunting - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Archery/ Bow hunting  (Read 9949 times)

pips4bucks

• View Profile
Archery/ Bow hunting
« on: October 26, 2009, 09:59:32 PM »
Hello fellow outdoors enthusiasts!  I'm the head of the Archery discipline for the Custer Sportsmen's Club.  If anyone is interested in archery/bowhunting feel free to contact me.

We typically hold four 3D archery shoots each year.  For those you who don't know, a 3D shoot is a walk through range at unmarked yardage shooting at lifesized foam animal targets.  It's as close to hunting as your going to get out of the season! 

Archery season is typically longer than the other seasons in this state.  The early season for deer this year, in this area, ran from Sept. 1st-25th and the late season runs Nov. 25th-Dec. 31st.  Also around here you can shoot any deer. 

The modern bowhunting equipment is very accurate.  I like to think of it as a short range rifle, without the bang.  One nice thing about archery is that you can practice in your backyard if you have the room.

We manage a range off of Lake Terrell Rd. from March 15th-August 31st.  You don't have to be a member to shoot the range, it's open to everyone.  Cost is $2.00/day to shoot up to 40 practice targets plus a 10-70 yard practice/sight-in range.

Also next May we will be hosting the State Championship 3D shoot.  It's open to everyone also, although if you want to shoot for awards you need to be a member of the WSAA.

I hope to see some of you out on the range!  If anyone would like to go shoot or has any questions just ask!

Shoot straight and true!

OH Yeah, Here's the buck I got this year.

GH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Google+
Re: Archery/ Bow hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 10:11:49 PM »
I grew up deer hunting in MI; archery, rifle, and black powder. I haven't hunted since moving out to Bellingham. I would like to get back into it, but the land (ownership and terrain) is so different than where I'm from. My first question is where? I'd like to scout around a bit before I invest in gear. I've killed plenty of deer with the rifle. My goal is to take one out here with the bow or black powder with iron sights.

RSC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 04:20:47 PM »
ive also been wondering about deer hunting around here but the question seems to be where to go? The vast majority of the good looking land is private. Getting away from the other hunters might also be an issue with so little land. Canada looks good but the no foreign hunters without a guide thing is keeping me away since im kinda a diy kinda guy

pips4bucks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 11:09:12 PM »
The question every hunter wants to know.... WHERE!!!???  You'd have a tough time getting most any hunter to reveal their favorite hunting spot. 

I may get blasted a bit for this, but if you're new to the area I'd head east.  There's lots of public and timber land to hunt on, you just have to get out and look around a bit.  As it is with most of the better hunting areas, the further from the roads you go the better.  I know of a couple big bucks out there right now but they are at least 4 miles in.  One place I've hunted is off of the 'Y' road behind the gates of the timber company.  Crown Pacific used to own the property but I heard they went bankrupt so I don't know who owns it now.  There was some pretty decent bear hunting there too.  Although, because it is fairly close to the 'Ham it tends to get a fair amount of hunters. 

Also, when it comes to hunting blacktails it's a bit more challenging because they eat pretty much everything out there.  They will often sink into the brush and wait for you to walk by before getting up and walking away.  They're sneaky buggers!  Any hunter who can take a mature blacktail buck year after year I've got a tremendous amount of respect for. 

There are plenty 'o deer in the lowlands, but most of the land is private so you'll have to knock on some doors to attempt to get permission.  That's one advantage to bowhunting, you can often get permission to hunt as a bowhunter than a firearms hunter.  Also you can hunt in areas that may be a little "sensitive."  If you do get permission to hunt these "sensitive" areas you better make sure that you are a VERY proficient shooter. 

Hope this helps

WalkingDown

• Fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 01:06:35 PM »
Hey, thats a nice deer you got there.
I look forward to checking out the archery range when it opens next year.

pips4bucks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 12:13:59 AM »
For those bowhunters/archers out there I haven't met... The archery range is open again!  It's located on Lake Terrell Rd. approximately a 1/2 mile south of Lake Terrell.  We are holding a 3D tournament there April 17-18 that's open to everyone.  You don't have to be a comptetitive shooter to participate in a 3D shoot.  It's good practice for hunting and keeps you in tune with your equipment.

Here's the website with a map to the range and shoot dates: http://custersportsmensclub.com/

Good shooting and I hope to see some of you out on the range!

pips4bucks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 03:51:50 AM »
To all you bowhunters out there!  Did you miss a really nice buck last year?  You know the one, where your broadhead and arrow are still stuck in the tree in front of where the deer was standing.  We've all done it at least once...

How to fix that problem?  3D archery shoots!  There is one coming up May 15-16 at the Lake Terrell range.  It's the WSAA State shoot but all shooters are welcome!  You don't have to shoot for the competition you can come shoot for the fun and practice.  It's about the closest thing to hunting you're going to get without actually doing it!

There will be awards for those who like to compete and door prizes to win for everyone.  So if you need to brush up on your yardage guessing, shooting form, or just want to have some fun, come on out and shoot!  Don't be intimidated, we're all a bunch of fun loving people out to fling a few arrows and we love to help newcomers get started!

Go to the Custer Sportsmen's Club website for details and questions.  Hopefully we'll see ya there!

Shoot straight!

aaronk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 07:46:22 PM »
Pips - The Terrell range opens on March 16th right?  And if you're a Custer member there is no daily fee?  What are the hours and are there lights on the flat range?

Thanks!

pips4bucks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 10:47:55 PM »
Pips - The Terrell range opens on March 16th right?  And if you're a Custer member there is no daily fee?  What are the hours and are there lights on the flat range?

Thanks!

Yeah, March 16th.  There aren't any lights out there.  Daylight hours only.  I think the sight-in range is open now though.  Andrew, the new head of archery for the club, said he was going to attempt to get the flat range open early.  I think he got it all done.  The walk-through range will open on the 16th, after bunny season ends.

You'll have to talk to Andrew about the range fee.  That was my rule to attempt to get more membership out on the range, but I'm not sure if Andrew is continuing with that.  You can contact Andrew through the Club website.  http://www.custersportsmensclub.com/archery.html

BTW, we always need volunteers to help out around the range and setting up 3D targets for shoots.  Any help is welcome.

aaronk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 07:18:56 PM »
Good deal, thanks for the info!

mrmg88

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 05:10:53 PM »
Good deal, thanks for the info!

Pips....

If we are hosting State stuff here in the county...  I will volunteer to help...   I do not hunt or shoot archery as of yet, but I will help if I am not working...

MRMG88

8)

pips4bucks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 11:32:08 AM »
Just a heads up for you archers out there.  The archery range in now fully open!  Bring your rubber boots and go out and fling a few arrows!  Last time I looked it was a mere $2.00/day to use the range.  Range fees pay for targets so please contribute.  There are plenty of cheap-asses out there who don't/won't pay so any contribution helps keep the range going.

If anyone would like some company or wants a bit of guidance out on the range, shoot me a message.  I'd be happy to go shoot a round or two with some new people. 

See ya out there!

aaronk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »
Very nice course out there!  Went out there today to finish sighting in my bow and shoot a couple stations of the 3D course.  I'm new to archery, and have always been horrible at ranging (no rangefinder), so my $2 range fee turned out to be a little more expensive after a few lost arrows ;D  Do you shoot regularly pips?  I wouldn't mind meeting up with you to get a little direction if you're down for it.  After I buy more arrows...

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners