Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Smoked salmon - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Smoked salmon  (Read 2640 times)

Cloudy

• View Profile
Smoked salmon
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:28:45 AM »
As a newcomer I just read Nick's info on smoked fish that he posted in 09.  A friend of many years smoked salmon that I found hard to beat, it was not too moist or too dry and always a hit with everyone.  I felt the brine would be a secret and complex but when I asked him he said it was simple.  Just use one (1) cup brown sugar, "packed" along with one (1) cup salt in (1) gallon of water.  Brine overnight then air dry until tackey when touched with the finger (a fan can help speed this process).  I fail to recall anything about rinsing so I never do and it is very good.  His ultimate smoking process was to cold smoke the fish.  He built a smoke house with a fire box constructed about 15 to 20 feet away and slightly downhill and smoked the fish until the consistancy was of his choice.  I use a Bradley smoker and it turns out good, possibly not as good as my friends cold smoke, but still very good.  As Nick said there are many different brines and smoking ideas, just as recipes for cooking all kinds of food, none seldom satisfy everyone.  Good luck!

Fish Whatcom Forum

Smoked salmon
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:28:45 AM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners