Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Skagit producing very well! - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Skagit producing very well!  (Read 4106 times)

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • A Fisherman Out of Water...
Skagit producing very well!
« on: September 10, 2009, 03:31:08 PM »
Fished the Young's bar area today using standard plunking gear and sandshrimp. Within the first 2 minutes of fishing we had a double hook-up and in under an hour we were out of sandshrimp and had five very bright pink's on the bank! If our hooks had been a little sharper we would have had even more. Firetiger and green and black web pattern Spin-N-Glo's were out producing pink ones by a lot! Almost everyone using green had a fish on just about every cast out. Water visibility was fairly good today, between 3 and 4 feet, still a little cloudy but very fishable! My advice is get down to the Skagit as soon as you can and get the smoker full before these fish start darkening up!

Tight lines,
Sam

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
Re: Skagit producing very well!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
After Sam's success earlier in the day I decided to go down and try the Skagit after work. Plunked from Young's bar using a standard firetiger spin-n-glow shrimp setup. I promptly hooked and landed two nice fish within 10 minutes of being at the bar. Fished for another 30 minutes or so, got some more strikes and called it quits. Now I have some fish for the smoker!
Water visibility is pretty good. 4 feet or so with a pretty strong current. I was using a 3oz triangle weight and if I casted too far into the current it would swing downstream. I would recommend using a bit heavier weight with the water level up like it is.

Check the Skagit river link here to find Young's bar. http://www.fishwhatcom.com/lakesrivers/Skagit%20River.html

Check this Shrimp technique link to see the rig we were using. http://www.fishwhatcom.com/basics/Plunking%20Sandshrimp.html

The two humpies I caught. A large male and a smaller female.

Sam's fish from earlier in the day.
-Nick

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 02:10:52 PM »
Saturday, Sept. 12.
I fished the Skagit this morning with my fly rod and did quite well! In a little over an hour I had 4 hookups and landed three nice pink salmon.  My second cast produced a night buck that looked like he had been in the river for a few days. After releasing him I landed two more ocean bright hens that I kept for the smoker.
I fished in Mt. Vernon near Young's bar from the bank using a 6wt fly rod with a heavy sink tip line. 6lb test leader and a hand tied "humpy hooker" fly. Basically, the fly is a pink bucktail fly tied on a #4 gamakatsu hook with bead chain eyes and a fair amount of crystal and silver flash added. Was working great today!

Two nice pinks

The one I released.

-Nick

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • A Fisherman Out of Water...
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 11:14:11 PM »
Nice fish! Wish I could have joined ya. We'll have to hit it again this week!

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 09:30:49 AM »
Fly fished the Skagit again last night without much luck. Hooked one large one that ran straight out into the current and snapped my 6 lb tippet. Didn't get a good look at it but probably a large pink salmon. Other than that they were rolling around right in front of me but not hitting. Was using the pink bucktail fly with lots of flash aka humpy hooker.
The river looks nice though. Good visibility and the water level is down a bit. People plunking sandshrimp from shore were catching quite a few of them!

-Nick

DavesSports.com

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 12:26:52 PM »
Still producing quite well.  Dave and family were out yesterday, 9/20/09 and landed nine humpies.  A few other of our staff members (Johna and Eli) were also out and did very well also!

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 12:26:52 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners