Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Getting back to fishing - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Getting back to fishing  (Read 987 times)

Burnhaven

• View Profile
Getting back to fishing
« on: July 27, 2019, 05:18:15 AM »
We're planning on fishing again after a layoff of a few years.   My wife loves it so I decided to chuck golf and get back into fishing.  Neither one of us is "rabid" about it, just a nice excuse to hike a bit and get out into nature.  Probably start on Lake Whatcom since it's close, spinning reel gear from shore.
I was trying to think of a cheap way to stick a rod/reel into my backpack without taking hooks off and not damaging the pack.
Whatcom's water isn't all that clear so I don't know if 6 pound line is good enough or if I need a lighter weight leader on the end ( with or without swivel snaphook)?

We're thinking of going barbless hooks and just catch/release ( or just snip the barbs off some tackle I already have )

dj2loud

• View Profile
Re: Getting back to fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 09:36:07 AM »
Whatcom is a nice lake but bank access is limited with residence properties...   if in whatcom go to toad lake, lake Terrell or even out to silver lake in maple falls... silver lake was just stocked with another 2200 trout... some in the 20” to 24” length.... a few really nice fish out there this year

Burnhaven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 10:44:38 AM »
thanks.   We don't live too far from The Fork restaurant so going down to the South Lake Whatcom Trail ( hertz trail ) area is easy, but we'll eventually branch out.  Last time we went to Terrell west of Ferndale it seemed like it was full of lillies.    Fishing is also a good excuse to get up to the Mt Baker area.

brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 04:35:37 PM »
thanks.   We don't live too far from The Fork restaurant so going down to the South Lake Whatcom Trail ( hertz trail ) area is easy, but we'll eventually branch out.  Last time we went to Terrell west of Ferndale it seemed like it was full of lillies.    Fishing is also a good excuse to get up to the Mt Baker area.

The Mt. Baker area doesn’t offer all that exceptional fishing, but you can find some good action for small trout if you figure out where to look. The lake whatcom trail would be a great place to start; you’ll want to target smallmouth. This time of year get a pack of football jig heads and hula grubs from Yeagers and fish the deeper drop offs in the mornings or evenings along the trail. Also just about any structure could hold a smallie (pilings, big rocks, logs).

Trout fishing on lake whatcom is not that good, and the native cutthroat that reside in the lake are protected so you aren’t suppose to target them. Trout fishing in the summer can also be really tough so I might save that for the fall.

Burnhaven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 05:34:16 PM »
Thanks Brandon, that's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for..... it's not likely we were going to keep anything we catch ....as I mentioned we might even look into barbless hooks
 just some casual fun... I read somewhere that the Bass in Whatcom have mercury content anyway

brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 09:17:27 PM »
Thanks Brandon, that's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for..... it's not likely we were going to keep anything we catch ....as I mentioned we might even look into barbless hooks
 just some casual fun... I read somewhere that the Bass in Whatcom have mercury content anyway

Yeah I wouldn’t eat any bass or perch out of lake Whatcom. If you do want a decent shot at trout this time of year I would head to Toad lake. You’ll want to fish early mornings as it’s when the weather is cooler and the afternoons can be busy with swimmers.

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 09:17:27 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners