Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Sockeye on the skagit - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Sockeye on the skagit  (Read 657 times)

dj2loud

• View Profile
Sockeye on the skagit
« on: June 14, 2019, 08:33:49 AM »
Anyone going to be going out for sockeye and need a partner? I have gear, bait and some free time, looking for a seat or bank partner to fish with..... Going to be trying near gilligan creek, and down by the soccer fields in the near future....

gary

• View Profile
Re: Sockeye on the skagit
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 06:53:51 PM »
DJ- the best tip I can offer is hold out and save your time for when there’s actually a decent number of fish coming thru.  I wouldn’t even consider trying it before July.  The later the better
DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS DIE.  EXECUTE THEM!

stanleysteemer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 08:58:49 PM »
@gary- I concur.
Hugs
 8)
social media icon

gary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 11:45:35 AM »
Good to hear from you, Stanley.  Glad u are ok.  FYI your phone goes straight to voicemail, and it says the mailbox is full?  What’s the deal, are you blocking my calls?
DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS DIE.  EXECUTE THEM!

brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 11:36:51 AM »
Maybe we need to arrange a fishwhatcom plunking party in July?

cohojake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 08:16:50 PM »
I've fished this run since 2015, and without a doubt the best action falls right about July 1. With the 1st being a Monday this year, probably June 29-30 is your best bet (because of the netting schedule).  The following weekend might be ok, but I don't think I've ever hooked one after July 4.  Keep in mind that once we get an extended spell of hot weather, which usually hits early July, the river becomes unfishable.  The best days I've had are when you catch the river as it is coloring up from hot weather, but before visibility drops below a foot.

stanleysteemer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 04:43:13 PM »
Good to hear from you, Stanley.  Glad u are ok.  FYI your phone goes straight to voicemail, and it says the mailbox is full?  What’s the deal, are you blocking my calls?

my apologies, @gary, but that number you have is tied to my old flip phone, which was left in the jockey box of the lesabre when I sold it to phil's cousin last year. I do have a new flip phone with no carrier, and am currently saving money and researching carriers before I get this one up & galloping.
send me a pm about a seat, and I'll see about a cobbler for you.

social media icon

dj2loud

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 01:11:29 PM »
There has been some action this action this past week, 6 on the bank yesterday down at youngs bar. I had the chance to fish the cascade and hooked a BEHEMOTH WILD KING... 43" ! Guessing weight over 30 lbs.... Was a bit colored but fought for damn near 35 minutes before being netted, unhooked and released..... Needless to say crappy day but what a fish!

Also found out that a local fisherman Don lost his life on the cascade, Slipped into the water above the mouth of the cascade and was pulled from the skagit at little eddy. 45 minutes of cpr but unresponsive..  That stretch of the river is DANGEROUS! CROSSING IS DEEPER AND FASTER THAN YOU THINK!

cohojake

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 08:42:34 PM »
That is always sad to hear about anglers drowning and too common. 

I got 2 sockeye on the Skagit on Saturday and 2 more today - plunking from our boat.  I think it is shaping up to be a pretty good run this year.

red roe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 06:34:57 PM »
Sorry for jumping into your fishing report. Im looking for someone that would like to make a drift down the river in the next few days if interested send me a pm.

cohojake

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 08:02:55 PM »
Sorry for jumping into your fishing report. Im looking for someone that would like to make a drift down the river in the next few days if interested send me a pm.
Did you see the emergency closures?  Closed Thursday Friday, then Monday Tuesday (27-28 & 1-2) to prevent "gear conflicts" with tribal netting.  Better hurry out there if you want to miss the weekend crowds.

red roe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 08:42:35 PM »
Thanks for the update wasn't necessary talking about the skagit.

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 08:42:35 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners