Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Looking for a boat - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Looking for a boat  (Read 256 times)

Salmon King

• View Profile
Looking for a boat
« on: November 19, 2017, 09:08:54 AM »
Well guys Iíve finally gotten so fed up with the messed up Saltwater regs that I gave up and sold my ARIMA. Iím making the switch to freshwater and specifically Kokanee fishing. So...

I need a new to me boat. 98% use will be in Lakes with the occasional Crabbing trip.
Keeping that in mind....Hereís what Iím looking for.

1. It must be aluminum in the 15-17í size range (I need to be able to handle her by myself since I canít seem to find a fishing partner).
2. 4-stroke Power (I donít want to look at repowering down the road). Etec would be acceptable also.
3. Some type of weather protection for the winter months.
4. Quality trailer.

I have electronics and electric Downriggers so those are not absolute requirements.

Price range up to $10k but could go more for a special boat.

Keep your eyes and ears open...let me know what you got
Thanks all!

Deli Dill

• View Profile
Re: Looking for a boat
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 11:11:47 AM »
What you're looking for is close to what I was looking for this time last year, except I wanted an 18 footer to have room for a couple people and my big lug of a dog. Perfect boat for your purpose is something in the category of a 16 foot Hewes Sportsman, or facsimile, with a canvas top and 50-75 hp main and small kicker. I think you'll find that most such aluminum boats in decent shape, not beat up, with a four-stroke will be higher than your price range (ie, 16-18K for a Hewes or comparable welded boat, a bit less for other brands maybe not all welded).

The closer you get to $10K, the older the boat/motor will be, and the less weather protection it will provide. But it sounds like you know boats pretty well. And you might get lucky.

My advice: Narrow your search down to a few specific models, then have cash and be hyper-vigilant on Craigslist. There's a surprisingly strong market for used fishing boats, and in my experience, the good deals are snapped up almost instantly. Drove up to look at many boats only to see them being towed off by another buyer. (You'll rarely get a chance to ride-test a boat, because someone else will come along right behind  you and offer cash for it basically sight-unseen. This sort of boggled my mind, but is reality.)

After a few months of this, I finally geared up to watch, wait and pounce. Bought an 18-footer for a really good price that needed engine work (replacing gummed-up carbs), which was acknowledged, and came out OK in the end, probably saving at least a couple thousand over buying one turn-key ready. But I still spent over $20K.

Good luck! It'll be worth the effort when you get all set up. And if you don't let it tick you off, shopping around can be fun.

Fish Whatcom Forum

Re: Looking for a boat
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 11:11:47 AM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners