Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Samish river - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Samish river  (Read 2843 times)

dj2loud

• View Profile
Samish river
« on: September 05, 2017, 06:25:49 PM »
Anyone been catching anything?

cohojake

• View Profile
Re: Samish river
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 06:34:56 PM »
I drowned some eggs on Saturday and saw a couple caught.  I had one good strike at first light- that was it.
 Everyone said it was the slowest day so far of the week.  Won't pick up again until we get back to early morning low tides.  My car still stinks like Samish mud.  I think I'll move on.

SnagNasty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 06:35:42 AM »
I have caught 9 kings so far this season all fish between 6&14 pounds fishing eggs below a float  below I-5 bridge. I have heard of a handful of atlantics caught in this same area I have not seen any.

SnagNasty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 08:09:32 PM »
I was able to make it back to the ditch tonight after work fished 100 yards below I-5 hooked 7 fish landed 5 bonked 2 hens 15 and 21 pounds should be enough roe to c&r the rest of the season. Come On Fish and Game open the Skagit!!!!

dj2loud

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 08:16:22 PM »
Keep dreaming for the skagit to open... I would truly like to make it to the samish, I'm stuck working in the big E..... At least it's not in seattle anymore.... Those 4 hr drives 1 way were brutal for a year...... Never again.... I'm interested in the cures being used.... I have just about all of them but have yet to land a single fish on ROE....

cohojake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 08:26:58 PM »
Keep dreaming for the skagit to open... I would truly like to make it to the samish, I'm stuck working in the big E..... At least it's not in seattle anymore.... Those 4 hr drives 1 way were brutal for a year...... Never again.... I'm interested in the cures being used.... I have just about all of them but have yet to land a single fish on ROE....
I use this cure exclusively now.  http://fishingwithrod.com/articles/river_fishing/no_longer_sticky_and_tricky.htmlFor the Samish, I add a tablespoon or so of procure double red hot.  If you don't mind the mess when fishing, you can shorten the drying time, but I like to keep my hands fairly clean.  For some reason, humpy roe has always been best for me on the Samish - the one time I used eggs from a Samish hen all I got were bullheads.  I think the point is it doesn't need to be too fresh on this "river" - stinky is a good thing.

dj2loud

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 06:15:42 PM »
I used to use borax fire in all colors but for the life of me never caught a fish with it, went over to procure and even pro glo, still nothing..... I have two mixes in the fridge right now from a couple humps, Pro cure double redd hott, and pro glow pink for steelies and red for salmon... I hope to catch a steel somewhere this year.... Hearing nates, ammerman's, and the old standby 321 rasp jello all work well.... Jason Humble from wash state fishing on facebook used some new one but i cant find it....

thechemist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 09:35:57 AM »
I use this cure exclusively now.  http://fishingwithrod.com/articles/river_fishing/no_longer_sticky_and_tricky.htmlFor the Samish, I add a tablespoon or so of procure double red hot.  If you don't mind the mess when fishing, you can shorten the drying time, but I like to keep my hands fairly clean.  For some reason, humpy roe has always been best for me on the Samish - the one time I used eggs from a Samish hen all I got were bullheads.  I think the point is it doesn't need to be too fresh on this "river" - stinky is a good thing.

Ah yes Rod, the "lets allow multiple threads outing/bashing poachers but delete threads and ban accounts when the poachers bashed are a site sponsor. "  ::). A friendly reminder to get your tackle locally (confluence, Yeagers or Daves) and not from Fred's custom poaching in Chilliwack.

dj2loud

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 12:32:16 PM »
what i miss?

thechemist

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 06:07:04 PM »
Not too much. A guy named Brody Mansell, who works for Fred's custom tackle, has a habit of fishing closed waters for endangered steelhead(and getting caught by wardens for it). Threads that bring this up get deleted on Rod's site and accounts that say that's BS get deleted. Other poaching threads that aren't site sponsors don't have that problem. 

SnagNasty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 07:58:50 PM »
A lot of fish in the ditch tonight.  I have never seen so many small kings until this year jacks are jacks but fish that are 16 to 18" and 2 pounds is not the norm. 

dj2loud

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 08:40:15 PM »
Ill be oat the ditch tomorrow for sure, usual corky and roe......

SnagNasty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 06:40:05 PM »
Eggs on the Samish.  I agree with Coho Jake why does anyone want to pay for the store cures that are messy .       Why would you be fishing double red eggs in a spawning system that is full of big bright Orange eggs??? Been using the same salt sugar borax cure for 20 years natural colors no mess on the hands lots of chrome on the bank. 

Raw Visions

• View Profile
    • My sounds.
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 12:37:22 AM »
Eggs on the Samish.  I agree with Coho Jake why does anyone want to pay for the store cures that are messy .       Why would you be fishing double red eggs in a spawning system that is full of big bright Orange eggs??? Been using the same salt sugar borax cure for 20 years natural colors no mess on the hands lots of chrome on the bank.
I use Pautzkes Fire Cure for salmon, Rogue Red. I catch kings all the time in the samish floating them. Springers on the skagit and cowlitz.. coho everywhere and the bulltrout too.. Ive messed around with all sorts of cures, 321, procure, boraxofire atlas mikes etc. Fire cure puts fish on the bank.
“Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend.”

SnagNasty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 09:55:23 PM »
Everyone has a favorite cure I think it is more knowing where and how to fish them I know a lot of guys that think bouncing or floating roe is the same as power bait for planters and run through 5 pounds of  decent eggs on a single trip with no fish. Then start looking for a new super cure.

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 09:55:23 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners