Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
2017 Noosack thread - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: 2017 Noosack thread  (Read 11558 times)

dj2loud

• View Profile
Re: 2017 Noosack thread
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2017, 09:32:43 AM »
latest hatchery report from Kendall creek shows 64 native coho, finally a fish has made it yet this should be setting off alarms in heads everywhere, 64 is the lowest return EVER at the hatchery in 30 years..... THe river needs to be closed to ALL for the NEXT 5 years... The NETS have to go.........

WDFW site is down again.....

WALL-E

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2017, 10:23:48 AM »
Thats horrible.  Talk about total mismanagement of a resource by WDFW.  What will be even more sad is when they shut it down to the sport fishers, yet the nets will stay in the river.  Rant over....
WALL-E

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2017, 11:21:09 AM »
Why would you expect to see large numbers of native coho at the hatchery trap? Native fish don't generally return to the hatchery, and also correct me if I'm wrong but the Kendall creek hatchery doesn't release coho. All hatchery coho are released from the Saxon facility aren't they?

Anyways... I fished yesterday afternoon for a few hours. Released four wild silvers, all very small fish in the 2-4 pound range. Tried fly fishing first but it was windy as hell so switched over and got all four on twitched jigs. Didn't feel like switching over to the fly again once I started catching them since I was having too much fun with the jigs! Saw some large rollers too, probably chum.
-Nick

gary

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2017, 01:34:28 PM »
the kendall creek facility hasnt released coho smolts in many years.  the unclipped ones that show up there just come in on the high water like fish should.  they release them back into the river. 
DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS DIE.  EXECUTE THEM!

fishbreath

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2017, 06:44:38 AM »
Just to clarify,  we should be calling these "native" Coho "wild" fish.  According to multiple sources I've talked with at WDF over the years,  the true native Coho in the Nooksack are long, long gone.  The Nooksack has been used as a production river for way to long for any true native fish to still be around.  Sad but true. 

brandonweeda

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2017, 07:53:10 AM »
Just to clarify,  we should be calling these "native" Coho "wild" fish.  According to multiple sources I've talked with at WDF over the years,  the true native Coho in the Nooksack are long, long gone.  The Nooksack has been used as a production river for way to long for any true native fish to still be around.  Sad but true.

You're saying that there are no longer any native salmon runs to the river? They are all just restocked wild fish?

fishbreath

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2017, 04:40:15 PM »
No that's not what I'm saying EXCEPT for the Coho Run.  The Nooksack has received massive amounts of Hatchery Coho over many, many decades.  It's been used as a production Coho river with little thought over Native Coho.  So when we talk about actual Wild Coho in the river now, it's hatchery fish that have been successful at spawning in the wild and producing "wild" fish with all their fins attached.

dj2loud

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2017, 09:05:12 PM »
What i can't understand is then why fund the hatchery at all? IF the only things they are producing out of the kendall creek hatchery are trout, chinook ( which we as sport fisherman cannot keep ) and steelhead they why is it even in production... If your gonna tell me that the its to boost numbers for future openings then I've had enough..... It's like being fed farts until i'm old enough to eat shit.... Its BS..... The coho used to be hatched and reared there and then they stopped, for what reason??

Also I think that since we " Co - Manage " this resource why are the tribes not required to produce actual numbers like the state provides?

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2017, 08:38:46 AM »
Good questions about the Kendall facility. The state is probably operating it for 'conservation' reasons. I'm not convinced.

The Skookum (Saxon rd) hatchery is operated by the Lummi Nation. https://www.lummi-nsn.gov/Website.php?PageID=45

-Nick

guddeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2017, 06:21:40 PM »
Hey guys has anyone fished the South Fork since the rain came and gone?

dj2loud

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2017, 07:54:32 PM »
100's  of people been hitting the south fork, ALL 0's, nothing at the hatch collection tubes saturday or sunday.... The rains helped a little bit but all them hatchery fish that were waiting in the main and throughout the river are  in the ponds at the hatchery by now...   A buddy of mine said wait till december and things may improve, im like WTF? We won't be able to fish them in DECEMBER......

guddeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2017, 07:10:24 AM »
Hey guys I'm looking for someone to help me go out fishing for Hooligans in the next two weeks. If you have the time to show me the ropes I'd appreciate it. You can PM me and we can exchange numbers. I'm just looking to branch out from my usual fishing habits this time of year.

cohojake

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2017, 08:43:37 PM »
Hey guys I'm looking for someone to help me go out fishing for Hooligans in the next two weeks. If you have the time to show me the ropes I'd appreciate it. You can PM me and we can exchange numbers. I'm just looking to branch out from my usual fishing habits this time of year.
Is there an opening?  I haven't seen any announcement.

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2017, 08:43:37 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners