Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
PINK YEAR!!!! - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: PINK YEAR!!!!  (Read 2529 times)

pips4bucks

• View Profile
PINK YEAR!!!!
« on: January 08, 2017, 07:50:41 PM »

YEA!  It's a pink year!!!! I can't wait!

Just kidding.... I just thought I'd stir the pot a bit. 

Personally, I think they're fun to catch, especially on a fly rod, but as far as usage, I think they're only good for crab bait or dog food.  I know plenty of folks eat them, they're just not my thing. 

Pink years seem to bring out the most quality fisher people as well.....   :o ::)

Raw Visions

• View Profile
    • My sounds.
Re: PINK YEAR!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 05:56:18 PM »
Rumor is the skagit will be closed. Nooksack will be open. The last out-migration  was terrible. Lets hope the river doesn't warm up as fast as it did the last run . Lets hope for some more snow pack!
“Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend.”

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 09:35:41 AM »
Snowpack should be good. Been a good year up in the mountains so far. I like going out and catching pinks on the fly rod as well... and it's also a fun way to introduce people to fishing. Nothing makes someones first salmon fishing trip more fun than actually catching a few!

That would be a bummer if the Skagit is closed though.
-Nick

Salmon King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 08:51:46 PM »
The Skagit will be closed for Coho for sure.  But they are giving us a Sockeye season so maybe we'll get to fish the Pinks too...

cohojake

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 09:37:59 PM »
The Skagit will be closed for Coho for sure.  But they are giving us a Sockeye season so maybe we'll get to fish the Pinks too...
The forecast for pinks on the Skagit is also terrible, so I wouldn't be surprised if the sockeye opening is all we get down there (plus the upriver opening for springers). I'm sure the Snohomish will be open for pinks, and we might get lucky on the Nooksack, if they aren't panicking over the spring/summer chinook returns to the South Fork.

cohojake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 10:46:43 PM »
Did everyone see the agreed to fisheries at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/?  We get the normal July 16 opening on the Nooksack with a 4 pink limit!  Coho open starting Sept 1 in the lower river, as normal, but once again we must release "wild" coho (keep in mind like half of the hatchery fish are unclipped).  The Skagit Sockeye fishery opens earlier this year, July 11, but there are no fall fisheries planned on the Skagit including Coho and Pinks.  The best bet for big pinks will be to head down to the Snohomish, which as open as normal with a 3 fish limit, pinks or coho.  They have much redder meat than the Nooksack fish as well, but you will fight the crowds.

dj2loud

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 05:09:08 PM »
Hi guys, new to the forum, not new to salmon fishing... Well, then again new to the cascade for springers and went 0 fish for 35 hookups... ( NOOB ) Anywho, i'm glad to see pinks at least return this year, after all i'm only 30 seconds from the river and the 2015 season was crappy for the fish....  Biggest problems i see is the amount of fishers on the river already and the pink aren't even here yet.... Looks like the baker lake sockeye run degraded to 37k fish...... Tribes gonna get their 500k eggs since the downgrade?

brandonweeda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 11:13:52 AM »
dj,
Branweeds from NW fishing reports if you remember. Went down to NF/SF confluence and saw some big old fish rising, no clue what they were... but were close to salmon size. Haven't seen a thing besides that. If you have an afternoon to wander around it was right where the south fork spills into the main stem, mostly against the far bank.

brandonweeda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 02:42:53 PM »
Nothing seen at Hovander today though, spend a good 30 minutes looking for signs of fish. Water visibility had to be over a foot, decent for the sack!

dj2loud

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 08:09:30 PM »
I was up on the confluence of NF/SF yesterday and saw a crap ton but they are all sucker fish, a great deal of them to be honest, 100's of em......  Todays venture was the mainstem towards harksell and hannegan.... 1 fish rolled in two hours from a buddy down river road....

cohojake

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 08:46:02 PM »
Heard of a few rollers up at Everson, which seems about like the last run.  Big push should come in a week or two.

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 08:46:02 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners