Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
August 8, 2009. Bearpaw lake - Whatcom County - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: August 8, 2009. Bearpaw lake - Whatcom County  (Read 1998 times)

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
August 8, 2009. Bearpaw lake - Whatcom County
« on: August 10, 2009, 01:04:18 PM »
I fished Bearpaw lake for a few hours on Saturday. Bearpaw is a high alpine lake around 4,000 feet above sea level and is full of small Cutthroat trout. In a couple hours I caught around a dozen fish no bigger than 9 inches. Some of them were in thier spawning colors so were brightly colored red and orange on the gill plates and down their bellies. The water is very clear so was a lot of fun to watch the fish hit the lure.
I fly fished and alternated between a sinking line and floating line. I used different color variations of bead head woolley buggers including black, olive and white. I also fished with dry fly's for a bit and had a few come up to the surface.

This is a fun lake to fish but can be a little hard to get in to. Canyon creek rd. turns into a forest service road (3170) and continues for about 15 miles to the trailhead. There are some washouts and ditches to cross so make sure you are in a truck or car with enough clearance. The trailhead is not marked and is overgrown with brush for the first few hundred yards. After that, the trail goes up through an oldgrowth forest for about a mile to the lake. It's a nice hike and a nice calm lake to fish.

-Nick

Fish Whatcom Forum

August 8, 2009. Bearpaw lake - Whatcom County
« on: August 10, 2009, 01:04:18 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners