Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Maui Bonefish - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Maui Bonefish  (Read 2297 times)

Jborrell67

• View Profile
Maui Bonefish
« on: August 28, 2014, 10:27:48 PM »
So I will be going on my honeymoon to Maui this coming Monday.  I will be bringing along my fly rod.. I know, I'll be starting my marriage on a bad foot, but I'm willing to take the risk.  Has anyone targeted bonefish in Maui?  Any suggestions  on gear?  From what I've gathered, it looks like you want to use fairly heavily weighted flies (but not too heavy, as you will donate them to the reefs) with floating line.    Any particular features I should look for on the beach?   
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:38:59 PM by Jborrell67 »
"When you compare a form rod with one of those rubber asses with the vagina built into it, there really is not a big difference when you get down to the principles."
-stanleysteemer

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
Re: Maui Bonefish
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 01:17:47 PM »
I'll chime in on this one since I was in Maui last year and broke out the fly rod a couple times. I'll start off by saying I didn't do very well there. Generally when fly fishing for bones you're looking for flats, and those are in short supply in Hawaii, with the exception of some around the Honolulu area, and a very few on the other islands. It seems like overwhelmingly the bonefish there mostly get caught by the locals using plunking techniques with bait.

I read this blog before going and checked out some of the spots, but didn't have any luck http://flyfishingmaui.blogspot.com/

This also looks interesting but I can't comment from experience on Capt. Jon Jon. http://localfishingknowledge.com/fly_fishing_maui

As for flies your typical bonefish shrimp patterns like Crazy Charlies and Gotchas should do the trick.

On a side note, on my honeymoon to Belize I took my 8wt and enjoyed catching many a bonefish while there, and that turned out just fine for the health of the marriage.
-Nick

AP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 03:42:50 PM »
I can't speak to many specifics regarding Maui bonefish other than to confirm what Nick stated.  The only person I know that catches them over there fishes bait.

Ignoring the bonefish, there appear to be an endless variety of fish to be caught from shore though.  Check out very detailed posts by someone named "Mingo" on PiscatorialPursuits.com.  He does an annual post of all the crazy aquarium fish he catches on a fly rod.  He isn't shy about saying where he is at and what he is doing.

I've subjected my wife to my fishing habit on nearly every vacation we've taken.  Best get her used to it from the start!   ;)

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 03:42:50 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners