Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
where to go - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: where to go  (Read 1966 times)

matt1323

• View Profile
where to go
« on: June 14, 2014, 06:31:51 PM »
i am an incoming freshman at WWU and am looking to do some fishing next year. i have been getting into fly fishing lately and am wondering where to go and what fish to target?

Sheepdog

• View Profile
Re: where to go
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 08:19:20 AM »
Hi Matt,  Welcome aboard.  There's a wide variety of waters out here between the lakes, salt water, & rivers.  The fly fishing is decent but no blue ribbon waters, at least I haven't found them.  You might be hard pressed to have people share their favorite spots although there are a few that would be more than happy to tell you where to go  ;).  I'll say, since you're out here to go to school, start doing your homework.  Treat this forum as a set of archives.  Look into past years and you'll learn a ton.  There are decades of experience here.  You'll get an idea when the different salmon species should show up and of what to throw at them.  You'll also learn not to ride in green drift boats, what a bank maggot is, to be wary of a guy driving a beat up Buick LeSabre, and that Gary can be a curmudgeon but he tells it like it is...that sort of thing.

AP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »
If you have a float tube, hit up Lake Padden in the evening.  The hexagenia (GIANT mayflies) hatch in the heat of the summer is nuts.  They also hatch on Lake Whatcom but you'd likely need a boat.

Whatcom Creek can be a good place to fish dry flies but be sure to check the regs.  I think it is still juvenile only waters above the big stone bridge and I think the area that blew up/caught on fire is still closed too?

The tributaries of the Nooksack (or the Nooksack above the falls) is another place to check out, assuming you are looking to do a little driving.  If you are looking to do even more driving, Eastern Washington is loaded with good trout water.

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners