Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Introductions and Screen Names - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Introductions and Screen Names  (Read 9640 times)

pips4bucks

• View Profile
Introductions and Screen Names
« on: August 29, 2013, 08:42:27 PM »
With an influx of new people lately, I thought it'd be good to learn a little about some of our fellow fisher people out there. 

Introduce yourself and give us whatever info you care to share.  Tell us how you chose your screen name.  Here's the link to a similar past thread.
http://www.fishwhatcom.com/forum/index.php/topic,821.0.html

Nick, I suggest you "sticky" this one.

pips4bucks

• View Profile
Re: Introductions and Screen Names
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:48:52 PM »
I'll start. 

I'm more of a hunter who fishes.  I'm primarily a bowhunter, but I'm not opposed to using a firearm to hunt.  I hunt mostly deer and elk, and if I could ever get some time I want to go after some bear.  I fish for whatever is in season. 

I hate the Nooksack, but keep fishing it anyway because it's close to home. 

Check out the other thread for my screen name explanation.

Jborrell67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:41:50 PM »
There's nothing truly special about my Screen Name (if you are curious it's my first initial and last name, and a random number). 

I strictly fish, and have been fishing since I was a kid.  Although, for roughly 6 years, I stopped fishing during my undergrad and grad days at Western, due to time constraints (as well as financial constraints).   Once I entered the working world, a few years ago, I was then able to find time for my addiction.   Within the last couple of years I picked up fly fishing.   I primarily fish the Nooksack, Skagit, and Stilly.  I pretty much target everything in the salt.   

"When you compare a form rod with one of those rubber asses with the vagina built into it, there really is not a big difference when you get down to the principles."
-stanleysteemer

GH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Google+
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
My screen name goes way back to the old Powercurrent message board and is just my initials.

I grew up in Michigan where we hunted and fished and drank lots of beer. I pretty much haven't figured out where to hunt out here yet, but I still pretty much do the other things on my list. I have a wife and three small kids so I don't travel too far or spend that long on the water when I go out by myself. We spend quite a bit of time plunking with the kids on the Skagit, which they love. My favorite place to fish is off the beach into salt.

I too hate the Nooskack as never seem to do very well, but I enjoy being outside on the river, plus it's close.

spoon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 06:38:21 PM »
My screen name is part of my last name and is my actual nickname since the 8th grade.  Caught my first fish at age 5 at Dakota Creek across from the shipyard.  A cutthroat on a stick pole my dad made on the spot, with a bobber and a worm.  Was involved in commercial salmon fishing from age 13-33, working in Puget Sound and various Alaskan locations.  Believe it or not that used to be a very respectable job here in Whatcom County, not a skeleton in your closet.  Now I sometimes work with kids and enjoy getting kids on their first fish.  My local fishing haunts are the Skagit, Stilly, Cascade, Dakota Creek, Baker Lake, and MA7.  The Nooksack is also a bit of a sore spot for me, but I'll save that for another post.  Trying not to burn my son out on fishing too much.

ramatsu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 12:49:16 PM »
My screen name is just a mashup of parts of my full name, and is handy for me to use because it's short and usually not already taken!

I started fishing as a kid on family vacations in the Blue Mountains of Eastern WA, working small streams like the Touche and Tucannon. My dad taught me to read structure and water when I was pretty small, and I still use everything he taught me today.

I didn't fish much as a young adult, just too busy with work and family. But somewhere along the way I fell in with a guy from Montana who of course told me I needed to fly fish, so then that happened, with all the gear and fanatacism that can come with it.

But I'll still toss a lure in the ocean, or hook up a herring if I need to fish deep enough that it starts getting ridiculous to stick to a fly. Mostly I like being out on the water, away from everything man-made except for my absurd amount of gear.

steelie1030

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 03:06:16 PM »
My screen name is just a short form of Steelhead and my birthdate. I am a Canuck originally from Nova Scotia but moved to BC in 1973 at the age of 20. I started fishing with my older brother when I was five. We pier fished in Halifax harbor for mackerel, Pollock, cod, whatever would bite our bait.

I've never owned a boat, until I finally got a pontoon boat which I use on Silver Lake quite a bit. I also have fished the Skagit for pinks ( plunking), Nooksack for chum and Steelies. I've caught lots of chum on the Nooksack and exactly five Steelhead in five years of trying ( one was about two weeks ago). I've also fished all over BC and Vancouver Island. I've had the incredible good fortune of going bonefishing with a good friend twice in my life at Ascension Bay.

Still have the passion and get out as much as I can.
Thanks for allowing me to introduce myself.

Sheepdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 07:18:52 PM »
It's nice to see new people bringing new energy to the site.  Seems like there's been kind of a dry spell lately.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:50:36 AM by Sheepdog »

GreenToes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 04:24:29 AM »
GreenToes - typically what you'd get if you went barefoot in the grass.

I grew up catching panfish, gradually moving onto trout and larger fish as I got older. I grew up fishing "The Wall" at Whatcom Creek and know many of the folks (and transients) by name. Over the last few years, I moved onto fishing the Nooksack, Skagit, and Samish. Whatcom Creek has conditioned me to not mind the crowds, while the Nooksack has taught me to be patient (in the first few years of fishing it, VERY patient... I only caught 1 fish). I've done much better in recent years after speaking to the wisdom of folks on here.

I fish avidly. I fish all sorts of styles, using all sorts of techniques and methods. I use hardware, bait, flies, spinning reels, baitcasting reels, fly reels, no reels, etc. You might find me wading, fishing from a float tube, kayak, or the good 'ol aluminum boat. I took a flyfishing class up at Western -- I have a VERY basic understanding of ecology, flyfishing, and fly-tying. I am SERIOUSLY enjoying kayak fishing and am eyeing the Hobie Pro Anglers. There's only so much you can do to upgrade a kayak that isn't one.

Kayak fishing all started with this: I make annual trips down south to catch pelagic fish. Mostly from kayaks and occasionally a charter. It's quite a rush to have a big fish drag you for miles and navigating through 4 foot waves. Having to work our way back to shore? Well, there's another reason for catch and release -- who wants to have to paddle back 10 miles while dragging a fish?

Up here and yonder, I haven't fished the salt much. I have no clue what to do unless I'm trying to catch dogfish or bullheads. I mainly fish the freshwater ponds, lakes, and rivers ; catch my crab from the docks (or a boat); and harvest clams wherever/whenever I can. My folks taught me the beauty of natural resources and they haven't had to buy much of any seafood since living up here.

Happy to see the forum is alive and well. Hopefully will get the chance to fish with some of y'all. Tight lines mates.

CharmCityChamp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »
Hey folks. Brand new here. A bass/catfish guy looking to explore more into salmon/steelhead fishing. I have a little experience catching salmon but have never caught a SH (the Sasquatch of fish lol). I want to learn how to properly work spoons and spinners for salmon and SH and it would be nice to hook up with an experienced spoon/spinner thrower. Oh my username is because I'm originally from Baltimore (Charm City). Looking forward to meeting yall and learning the way of the searuns.

Tight lines

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners