Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Humpy Flies - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Humpy Flies  (Read 6216 times)

Sheepdog

• View Profile
Humpy Flies
« on: August 21, 2013, 10:26:41 AM »
Thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone wants to share what's been working for them. 

The two on the left are my go to flies.  Especially, the ESL on a floating line.  Thought I'd try out the two on the right this year. 

What's been working for the rest of you?

[attachment deleted by admin]

fasteddie

• View Profile
Re: Humpy Flies
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 05:23:57 PM »
I would also like to know what are good humpy flies.  I have a collection of egg sucking leeches, but may be a dumb question, can you also just throw anything pink?
<*)))))><

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »
Actually haven't been out fly fishing for 'em yet this year. We did a day on the lower Skagit just after it opened this year, but we were fishing 4 people out of the drift boat so just threw pink jigs.

In years past have had a lot of luck with a sparse pink bucktail fly that I think is called the 'Humpy Hooker" or some such thing. Have a bunch of them cued up in the box just waiting for the next outing. 

-Nick

Sheepdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 09:36:29 PM »
I would also like to know what are good humpy flies.  I have a collection of egg sucking leeches, but may be a dumb question, can you also just throw anything pink?

I'm no authority but pink seems to be the ticket.  That's all I've seen on line and in the fly shops.  Confluence has a half dozen or so varieties that are all pink with a fresh shipment that was supposed to show up earlier tonight.

I was just curious what other folks like to use & wanted to get some ideas flowing.

The pink & purple ESL is my fly of choice. It's super simple to tie and the jig action with a floating line worked well for me.   Last time the humpies were in town that combo got my son & I a whole lot of fish.   I found they would barely touch a pink & black combo but they liked the other.  Maybe it was where we were or we had good karma that year but it was pretty cool.

Hope it helps...have fun.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:38:41 PM by Sheepdog »

Jborrell67

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 11:53:27 PM »
Just out of curiosity, for pinks do you swing your flies, or do you try and gently strip it back slowly?  I've never actually targeted pinks of the fly rod.  It sounds like floating line works, but will a sink tip or shooting head setup work as well? 
"When you compare a form rod with one of those rubber asses with the vagina built into it, there really is not a big difference when you get down to the principles."
-stanleysteemer

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 01:49:52 PM »
Here's a crappy phone pic. On the left is the "humpy hooker' i've had a lot of success with in the past. On the right is one I'm excited to try this year.

-Nick

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
Just out of curiosity, for pinks do you swing your flies, or do you try and gently strip it back slowly?  I've never actually targeted pinks of the fly rod.  It sounds like floating line works, but will a sink tip or shooting head setup work as well?
Strip it back. Caught them on the swing but not as much. Sink tips work too.
-Nick

Sheepdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 04:52:08 PM »
Well, just when I think I got something in the fishing world figured out, I'm served up a big slice of humble pie.   My 'go to' flies that worked great last couple humpy seasons brought me no love today and the fish were there.  A guy below me, using a float & jig,  limited out by 10 and I was kicking the cat by noon.  I finally got some action around 2 by stripping in a pink & red marabou that I usually save for steelhead but got greedy and ripped it out of it's mouth when yarding it in too fast.  Guess I won't quit my day job :)

And nice flies, Nick.  Both types looked like what the pro's use. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 04:54:58 PM by Sheepdog »

fishinfool

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 06:31:19 PM »
Tied up a mess of pink and white Clousers for the pinks. I'd think they would work in the lower ends of the mouth of the Skagit. Has anyone had any luck fishing a clouser pattern up higher in the river systems.
-Sounds Fishy.

Jborrell67

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 10:50:17 PM »
I'll probably bring my fly rod out tomorrow, I recently went with a sink tip line on my rod.  I'm getting tired of catching them on Dick Nites - it's fun, but it gets kind of old, it's almost too easy.   With the water clearing up, it should provide a better opportunity to try throwing a fly out there.   I'm pretty much out of any decent flies - most of them got mangled and ripped apart during the chum season, last year. ;)  I haven't really been out with my fly rod since. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:51:51 PM by Jborrell67 »
"When you compare a form rod with one of those rubber asses with the vagina built into it, there really is not a big difference when you get down to the principles."
-stanleysteemer

Sheepdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 08:17:24 AM »
For those who are interested, it's still a bit early but it looks like you can disregard the pink & purple ESL.  Two years ago it was the only fly I'd use & so far this year it's been a dud, go figure.

Anyhow, the picture shows what's been working for me after I got past the first of my season frenzy.  The top one worked with a sink tip, stripping it in.  The bottom one was on a floating line w/a long leader.  Neither was a fish every cast but at least I'm using my smoker for the first time in a while.

Good luck & hope it helps

Jborrell67

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »
I went out yesterday on the 'Sack.  I brought both my gear and fly rods out.  I picked up two rather quickly on the gear rod and I lost a few (using a Dick Nite), I figured two was plenty for the day (technically I should probably stop keeping pinks as I already have a chest freezer full of smoked pinks from this year  ::) ). 
Out came the fly rod!  I was using a pink w/ chartreuse marabou fly.  A huge school came through and stayed in the area I was fishing from about 4 - 5:30.  This was one of the biggest schools I had seen yet on the Nooksack.  I started off using a floating line system and a weighted version of the flashy/annoying marabou fly - no takes.  I experimented with different stripping speeds to just doing a dead drift, nothing.  Finally, I swapped fly lines and put on a sink tip setup with an unweighted fly - nada. 

Part of me wonders if a strike indicator might have helped? Suggestions?
-stanleysteemer

aaronk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 01:25:44 PM »
I've had horrible luck fly fishing for pinks in the rivers.  I fished the same hole as a guy with a jig under a float and he was just killing them, I had two fish that day.  They'll readily crush a fly in the salt, which is mainly where I target them now.

Jborrell67

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 01:36:53 PM »
That's crazy.  From my limited fly-fishing experience, I've noticed where a marabou under a float on a gear rod works, so will a marabou fly.  This defies logic.  I'm now determined to get one of these slime rockets on the fly.  ;D
-stanleysteemer

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 08:49:37 PM »
It's official, the fly works. Got 4 on the Skagit today on the pink fly (right hand side) in my photo I posted earlier. That is Scott Willison's fly that I ripped off and tied up some of my own (You can buy them down at the fly shop too).
-Nick

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 08:49:37 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners