Fishwhatcom.com

cascades fly fishing steelhead ad whatcom county Petosa skagit river guide ad
The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom
Nooksack 2013 - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Nooksack 2013  (Read 74655 times)

SalmonCycle

• View Profile
Re: Nooksack 2013
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2013, 12:59:02 PM »
What you guys probably saw was the Confluence fly shop spey gathering/casting practice. Ed announced it on here the week before - it was a get together with some reps from different companies, and Ed and Scott from the fly shop giving some free double handed casting instruction and letting people try out different rods. They've done this a few times, and get permission from the local game wardens before hand (no hooks are used, just yarn).

Ahhh that's right. Forgot about that.

guitarfool

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2013, 09:06:11 PM »
well either way it kind of got me excited to see people...its been too long since there have been some NOOKSACK 2012 posts. i moved on to the south fork in november, didnt catch anything...only n.f. Anybody do any early season fishing on the south fork? in the past, while tubing i have seen big fish. Maybe summer run metalheads. dunno...Gonna have the pole in either way. Just wondering if anybody hits the s.f. early?
Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and distubeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goeth forth full of hope and when the day is spent, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him.

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2013, 09:37:25 PM »
well either way it kind of got me excited to see people...its been too long since there have been some NOOKSACK 2012 posts. i moved on to the south fork in november, didnt catch anything...only n.f. Anybody do any early season fishing on the south fork? in the past, while tubing i have seen big fish. Maybe summer run metalheads. dunno...Gonna have the pole in either way. Just wondering if anybody hits the s.f. early?

You most likely saw chinook while tubing. A few still make it back. They are esa listed.

The lower river is opening early this year - July 16th for pinks.  Should be a fun year.
-Nick

guitarfool

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »
yeah i know the lower river is open but i want to use the path i just cleared out that leads to the nice sandy s.f. beach...what about summer run steelhead in the south? anybody ever get into one? any point in upper-river(east or south of hwy 9 bridge) early season?
Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and distubeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goeth forth full of hope and when the day is spent, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him.

RM

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2013, 10:10:29 PM »
Pinks in July I'm ready!
I AM A FISHERMEN FOR LIFE
  I will always be a fishermen.
    It's not something I do,
     it is who I am.
  Where I am supposed to be.
     It is not a place,
  but a lifelong journey.
When you understand this,
    you will know me.
~unknown~

gary

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2013, 08:28:47 AM »
the nooksack has one of the earliest humpy runs of any river around, but its going to be slim pickins in july.  august will have a good amount of fishing coming in though.  visibility will be low for those early fish.. supposed to be a good run though.  i cant say ive ever targeted them.  might try this year
DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS DIE.  EXECUTE THEM!

Deli Dill

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2013, 08:30:31 AM »
the nooksack has one of the earliest humpy runs of any river around, but its going to be slim pickins in july.  august will have a good amount of fishing coming in though.  visibility will be low for those early fish.. supposed to be a good run though.  i cant say ive ever targeted them.  might try this year

Caught a few in late July in '11, if I recall. Like you say a lot depends on water conditions.

guitarfool

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2013, 05:16:51 PM »
native nets in the water today at nugents. Stopped to ask the tribal police about it and they are allowed 12 hours today with a max catch of 28 fish total between the tribe. Said they had pulled in  6 so far. I then began to bitch about the fact that they were targeting a species in which there are an estimated 61 adult fish returning this year. They said only hatchery fish were being targeted. But im pretty sure that the net doesnt segregate wild from hatchery. I didnt even know there was a spring king hatchery on the sack. so yeah. kind of bugged me.

Deli Dill

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2013, 07:39:27 PM »
native nets in the water today at nugents. Stopped to ask the tribal police about it and they are allowed 12 hours today with a max catch of 28 fish total between the tribe. Said they had pulled in  6 so far. I then began to bitch about the fact that they were targeting a species in which there are an estimated 61 adult fish returning this year. They said only hatchery fish were being targeted. But im pretty sure that the net doesnt segregate wild from hatchery. I didnt even know there was a spring king hatchery on the sack. so yeah. kind of bugged me.
Good to know. And if they catch more than 28, or kill a bunch of wild fish, contact the tribal fisheries enforcement officer and he will get right on that.

RM

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2013, 09:12:25 PM »
I think a program for early kings is ran out of the North fork hatchery.

I AM A FISHERMEN FOR LIFE
  I will always be a fishermen.
    It's not something I do,
     it is who I am.
  Where I am supposed to be.
     It is not a place,
  but a lifelong journey.
When you understand this,
    you will know me.
~unknown~

Gone-Fishin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2013, 10:56:23 PM »

If you guys want to talk cost of fish, if you guys only knew how many millions of dollars has been spent on that program it would make you sick.

guitarfool

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2013, 09:25:56 PM »
got this sucker on the weekend. exciting to see something different come up. been getting some good rainbow and cutthroat lately out of the s.f.....1/16 rooster tail.  the sucker was a really nice size and actually gave a good fight.(drag is broken on that reel. doesnt work at all) the river overall is looking nice. s.f is ultra low though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:28:48 PM by guitarfool »

fishon101

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2013, 10:16:21 PM »
got this sucker on the weekend. exciting to see something different come up. been getting some good rainbow and cutthroat lately out of the s.f.....1/16 rooster tail.  the sucker was a really nice size and actually gave a good fight.(drag is broken on that reel. doesnt work at all) the river overall is looking nice. s.f is ultra low though.

Kinda funny i got one of those a little less then a week ago. Never have seen one come out of there.

SalmonCycle

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2013, 09:26:27 PM »
Fished the lower river today with the end result of no fish caught or seen.  The only action was when my nephew tripped over my pole snapping the top 12 inches off. :'(

Ace

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2013, 09:52:47 PM »
Fished at Hovander this morning around 5:00 am. no action, did not see any rollers, but the river was in good shape and it was a very relaxing morning. Gate was still locked so a parked at the boat launch and walked down.

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2013, 09:52:47 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

DRYFT Fishing Waders ad
Fish Whatcom Forum Register