Fishwhatcom.com

cascades fly fishing steelhead ad whatcom county Petosa skagit river guide ad
The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom
Nooksack 2013 - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Nooksack 2013  (Read 74420 times)

Deli Dill

• View Profile
Re: Nooksack 2013
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 01:01:22 PM »
Here is some information provided by District 14 Fish Biologist Brett Barkdull at WDFW regarding the Nooksack:

There are or have been three separate efforts in progress this spring on the Nooksack River in relation to steelhead.

1.  As background, the statewide steelhead management plan mandates for segregated hatchery steelhead programs that broodstock only be taken from that specific river system, and only up to Feb. 1. This year at Kendall Hatchery we were unable to collect sufficient hatchery broodstock to meet egg take goals. The Northwest Steelheaders, a Whatcom County based steelhead club has been providing funds for some time to produce up to 40,000 additional steelhead smolts at Kendall on top of what the WDFW provides for. When it became apparent that broodstock needs were not going to be met this year, the club petitioned the Dept. to allow for a one time extension of the cutoff date for obtaining the necessary broodstock, and offered to provide the people and equipment to gather broodstock. The Dept. granted the petition, and allowed for the club to try and obtain hatchery broodstock up to Feb 15th. No wild fish were retained for broodstock purposes. That effort was coordinated with the club, and supervised by myself.

2.  WFDW staff annually survey the Nooksack River for steelhead in order to estimate the total winter run population. That effort starts in or around Feb 20th each year. WDFW staff walk, float, or fly various sections of the mainstem and tribs in order to gather the information necessary. It is not uncommon to see them working.

3.  The Dept is gathering information to better understand the population structure of steelhead throughout Puget Sound. As you are probably aware steelhead in Puget Sound have been listed and recovery planning is in progress. As part of that effort DNA sampling is being conducted in certain areas with presumed or suspected independent populations. This year the North Fork Nooksack is a targeted sample location. WDFW staff members will be collecting wild steelhead adult tissue samples. Adults will be captured via hook and line, a small tissue sample will be snipped from the tail, and the fish will be released unharmed. This effort has been coordinated and approved by NOAA fisheries, and an ESA sampling permit, as required by law, granted.

As far as links to information, Our WDFW website has plenty to keep anyone busy for quite awhile. In particular look up the Statewide Steelhead Management plan as a backdrop for general management practices. Link: http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/fisheries/steelhead/. Also look for Salmonscape, click: http://wdfw.wa.gov/mapping/. Both are good starting points, as is reading up the Federal listing below. The NOAA fisheries link is also a wealth of information. Click: http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/ and go to the protected species link and start looking.

If you have any further questions, you can reach me via e-mail or by phone at 360-789-3805.

Thanks Brett Barkdull
District 14 Fish Biologist
LaConner District Office.
Thanks AP. Very interesting. Is it just me, or is that pretty close to a private angling opportunity arrangement? Any NW Steelheaders on here who want to elaborate? I mean, it's great if it produces more fish, but if they're not coming back, it's sort of a big image problem for the river, and an enforcement headache as well, I would wager. (ie, is the river closed, or not?)

thedude

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 01:29:08 PM »
When it became apparent that broodstock needs were not going to be met this year, the club petitioned the Dept. to allow for a one time extension of the cutoff date for obtaining the necessary broodstock, and offered to provide the people and equipment to gather broodstock. The Dept. granted the petition, and allowed for the club to try and obtain hatchery broodstock up to Feb 15th. No wild fish were retained for broodstock purposes. That effort was coordinated with the club, and supervised by myself.

When is it ever apparent that they are going to meet hatchery broodstock needs? And then to grant a petition to target hatchery fish up to Feb 15th. Isn't it all wild fish at that point? Seems a little fishy...

Bootslayer

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 05:38:44 PM »
Sooooo...They're having dudes go out and catch hatchery fish that are on their way to the hatchery. Hmmm

I didn't even hear of a hatchery fish caught this year.

I wonder how many additional fish the hatchery received from this ingenious strategy?

And what happens next year when this "one time" extension is not allowed?

Too many a$$holes on the river....and I might be one of em

gary

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2013, 08:26:29 AM »
Sooooo...They're having dudes go out and catch hatchery fish that are on their way to the hatchery. Hmmm

I didn't even hear of a hatchery fish caught this year.

I wonder how many additional fish the hatchery received from this ingenious strategy?

And what happens next year when this "one time" extension is not allowed?
  yep.  furthermore, i was under the impression that all winter steelhead hatcheries in puget sound have a feb.1  deadline for egg collection, and had to submit their final numbers at that point.  pretty sure no northwest steelheaders will be joining in this discussion, mainly because their collective efforts likely brought in a total of zero more hatchery fish.  good work, boys.  and doesnt having guys fishing in february undermine the whole premise of the closure?  regardless, my angle is this:  this whole thing is just an smartly executed excuse for a organized bunch of good ol' boys to motor around on the river and do what they want
DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS DIE.  EXECUTE THEM!

GH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Google+
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 08:56:16 AM »
They should have a bake sale to help raise funds to support the fuel costs associated with this noble endeavor to assist the state in their efforts to revitalize the failing run of Nooksack hatchery steelhead. At the very least they deserve a gold star or an ice cream cone.

gary

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 09:12:19 AM »
if nothing else, im sure they got some real nice 'grip and grin' shots of wild fish in the middle of their boats.  the northwest steelheaders are known for their fish handling skills
DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS DIE.  EXECUTE THEM!

Deli Dill

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2013, 10:19:37 AM »
Just another thing that enhances the Nook's reputation as the lawless Waziristan of NW rivers: Just about anything goes.

Bootslayer

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2013, 10:35:37 AM »
A "pro hatchery" steelhead club...

THATS BITCHIN!

Whats next?

Maybe an "anglers for excessive tribal netting club". Makes as about much sense as a steelhead club that supports hatcheries!
Too many a$$holes on the river....and I might be one of em

fishtheusa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2013, 06:45:06 PM »
Good news NO SKAGIT RIVER SOCKEYE SEASON for 2013 The lake will be open only  2 fish per day   Get ready

Jborrell67

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2013, 11:05:37 PM »
Whats next?

Maybe an "anglers for excessive tribal netting club". Makes as about much sense as a steelhead club that supports hatcheries!

Hey.  Don't make fun of the Anglers for Excessive Tribal Netting Club (AETNC).  I'm a proud member of the organization.  We have a total disregard for all things salmon and steelhead - In general, the river ecosystem as a whole.  We meet at Bob's Burgers (Tuesday nights at 6:00 p.m.) and plot various ways to encourage more netting.  We also operate under a sworn oath to never report any derelict nets or illegal netting activities.   It's a lot of fun! 
"When you compare a form rod with one of those rubber asses with the vagina built into it, there really is not a big difference when you get down to the principles."
-stanelysteemer

Deli Dill

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2013, 11:17:14 PM »
Whats next?

Hey.  Don't make fun of the Anglers for Excessive Tribal Netting Club (AETNC).  I'm a proud member of the organization.  We have a total disregard for all things salmon and steelhead - In general, the river ecosystem as a whole.  We meet at Bob's Burgers (Tuesday nights at 6:00 p.m.) and plot various ways to encourage more netting.  We also operate under a sworn oath to never report any derelict nets or illegal netting activities.   It's a lot of fun! 
Ha. Same here. In fact, just yesterday I paid my annual club dues: $75 (fresh/saltwater combo, two-pole endorsement, crab).

guitarfool

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2013, 10:12:21 PM »
saw 5 guys fishing under nugents corner bridge about a week ago. Didn't know if they were the idiots or if i was for missing out on an announcement. Maybe they were practicing casting weights. i dunno. pretty positive i would have known if there had been any changes in the regs.
Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and distubeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goeth forth full of hope and when the day is spent, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him.

SalmonCycle

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »
My father-in-law saw the same thing............from what I can tell you didn't miss anything.  So your guess is as good as mine.

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2013, 03:01:02 PM »
What you guys probably saw was the Confluence fly shop spey gathering/casting practice. Ed announced it on here the week before - it was a get together with some reps from different companies, and Ed and Scott from the fly shop giving some free double handed casting instruction and letting people try out different rods. They've done this a few times, and get permission from the local game wardens before hand (no hooks are used, just yarn).
-Nick

RM

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2013, 08:23:46 PM »
Sure would be nice to have a season and get on some of those spring fish headed up river this time of year.
I AM A FISHERMEN FOR LIFE
  I will always be a fishermen.
    It's not something I do,
     it is who I am.
  Where I am supposed to be.
     It is not a place,
  but a lifelong journey.
When you understand this,
    you will know me.
~unknown~

Fish Whatcom Forum