Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Lake Terrell - Sat. August 1st - Bass fishing - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Lake Terrell - Sat. August 1st - Bass fishing  (Read 5205 times)

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
Lake Terrell - Sat. August 1st - Bass fishing
« on: August 03, 2009, 05:46:18 PM »
I tried Lake Terrell for Bass on Saturday. I've never fished Terrell before so didn't really know what to expect. I fished for under two hours in the morning and only ended up landing one small bass. I saw a couple hogs splashing around in the lily pads though, but unfortunately couldn't get into where they were. Lots of weeds and algae in the lake and it seemed pretty shallow on the south end where I was fishing.  I fished mostly with 7" power worms in June bug with green flake and solid black. Tried throwing some spinner baits for a bit but the weeds were too thick where I was.

All in all, i'm impressed with the lake but could really use some tips on where to head next time.

-Nick
-Nick

Fishhunt223

• View Profile
Re: Lake Terrell - Sat. August 1st - Bass fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 08:31:41 PM »
The lake is down really low this year.  They do it every 5-8 years I think, something to do with encouraging the big fish to eat up the smaller ones.  You will have much better luck fishing this lake before July, because the weeds litterally take over the lake.  Lots of big bass to be caught out there.  Here is a decent one I caught last year on a spinnerbait and released.

Bootslayer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 10:39:52 PM »
They drain the lake every five years to support plant growth, I fish this lake often in early spring, my favorite technique is pitching unweighted 5" senkos into the tulies. this last spring was very good I had a few double digit fish days with the smallest being 2lbs all the way up to 5lbs
Too many a$$holes on the river....and I might be one of em

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 09:26:53 AM »
Thanks for the info!l I didn't realize that they would drain the lake like that but that explains a lot then. I'm looking forward to fishing it next year earlier in the season and hopefully getting into some bigger bass.  When you fish Senkos are you twitching them in just like you would a regular plastic worm or bait?

Nice fish Fishhunt223!
-Nick

Fishhunt223

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 11:55:02 AM »
This lake supports bass up to 10lbs so it can be a great lake to fish.  Scum frogs and buzz baits are top producers in the early mornings and occasionally the buzzbait bite will last all day if it is overcast.  Otherwise it is important to "match the hatch".  Right after the spawn is a great time to throw 2 inch jerk baits.  I cant speak for steelheader but since this lake is so shallow, I like to rig my senkos weightless and pitch them into the middle of pad clusters.  Let them sink to the bottom, then twitch them with long pauses.

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 12:15:33 PM »
Great info. I'm going to give those scum frogs and senkos a try next year. Would be a dream to get into an 8+ pounder! My standby bait has always been a 7" black power worm rigged weightless and fished just like you mentioned below by pitching into the pads and then twitching it with long pauses. Where do you get Scum frogs at? any local shops carry them or do you have to order online?
-Nick

Fishhunt223

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 12:36:37 PM »
Warehouse sports in burlington might have them but I get mine either online or from the other side of the state.  Another soft bait you might try is any of the new rage tails.  Their action is incredible.  You can get the crawfish at warehouse sports, or you can order any of them online.  The anaconda worm is great when you need a bigger profile bait to weed out the small fish. 

Bootslayer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 04:21:30 PM »
Fishnut said it right pause and twitch your senkos under lilys and up in the reeds or tullies, buzzfrogs work well i fish them the same way,weightless pull it up over a lily and let it sink back down and twitch. buzzbaits work in early morning, most of the bass fisherman there use them religiously. i personally think there overrated at that time of year you can catch fish with them but the hogs are under deep cover!!!
Too many a$$holes on the river....and I might be one of em

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 12:28:30 PM »
Man, now i'm getting excited for bass season again even though salmon just started! Never really used buzzbaits much but will have to add them to my arsenal for Terrell next year!
-Nick

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 12:28:30 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners