Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Steelhead flies - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Steelhead flies  (Read 11647 times)

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
Steelhead flies
« on: October 29, 2012, 07:11:10 PM »
I've been doing a bit of tying lately and wanted to share this photo. Anyone else care to share some patterns or photos?

-Nick

stanleysteemer

• View Profile
Re: Steelhead flies
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 07:24:51 PM »
Those are some nice looking bugs there kiddo.  :-*
social media icon

AP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 11:21:40 AM »
Very nice.  I love large steelhead flies with hangback hooks.  Those particular ones look fishy.

thedude

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 01:00:57 PM »
Nice flies, Nick! I'd imagine they'll hold up just fine seeing that all the jigs I took from you are still holding strong after 2+ years.

O Mykiss

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Cascades Expeditions, LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 02:14:38 PM »
They look even better in person.
Ed
We said there warn't no home like a raft, after all. Other places do seem so cramped up and smothery, but a raft don't. You feel mighty free and easy and comfortable on a raft. Huck Finn

Sheepdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
I'll bite....these are my favorites from last year.  What's everyone else got to share?

[attachment deleted by admin]

O Mykiss

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Cascades Expeditions, LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 04:14:29 PM »
As soon as Cory gets back and wires in the new lights, I'll be back at the vice/vise.

[attachment deleted by admin]
We said there warn't no home like a raft, after all. Other places do seem so cramped up and smothery, but a raft don't. You feel mighty free and easy and comfortable on a raft. Huck Finn

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 05:27:48 PM »
I'll bite....these are my favorites from last year.  What's everyone else got to share?
Nice looking flies. They all look very fishy and like they'd get the job done that's for sure.

As soon as Cory gets back and wires in the new lights, I'll be back at the vice/vise.
Absolutely beautiful flies Ed. And I know from experience that they work well too!
-Nick

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 05:38:43 PM »
Nice flies, Nick! I'd imagine they'll hold up just fine seeing that all the jigs I took from you are still holding strong after 2+ years.

With the braided loop for the trailer hook it's easy to swap out to fresh hooks too. With 12-15lb tippet I've bent a lot of hooks out after snagging up on the bottom. Slip a new hook on and that fly is good to go. A heck of a lot better than losing flies all day (especially a fly that took longer than 20 minutes to tie).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:40:41 PM by Nick »
-Nick

stanleysteemer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 11:57:27 AM »

Great looking flies. Where is Cory? That guy owes me $60 from a double or nothing match of backgammon. He claimed that we're even because I "ruined" his back scratcher because I used it once. He said that "my greasy back meat tainted his device." Cory's weird sometimes but I still call him a friend, and also, he's a pretty good electician.
social media icon

jbooyah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 06:32:06 PM »
Nick, what kind of feathers did u use for that fly in the very first pic? It looks awesome

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 09:25:24 PM »

Nick, what kind of feathers did u use for that fly in the very first pic? It looks awesome

The long feathers are ostrich. Look for the thinner, longer ostrich feathers. The super thick ones don't have the same look. The collar is dyed guinea.
-Nick

jbooyah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 10:43:02 PM »
here's some stuff I've tied recently. Thanks for the info nick

Sheepdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 06:51:49 PM »
Hi All,  gotta couple questions regarding hooks for intruder style flies.  In the past, I've used regular hooks ( 2's 4's whatever) and pretty much 'hard wired' them in....takes forever & is problematic...anyway, what are you guys using for the replaceable hooks? Regular bait caster type salmon hooks?  Then, some of the intruder patterns have the point up, so it stays within the flowing body of the fly.  Does this tend to cause more injury to the fish? by getting the point driven up into their head,eyes, or brain as opposed to the lower jaw?  Or am I over thinking stuff again?

Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fish Whatcom
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 09:03:54 PM »
Octopus style hooks - Owner or Gamu is what I use in size 1 to 4. I tie a loop of braid in so that the hooks are replaceable and can be swapped out easily. Point up is good because it helps not snag up on the bottom quite so much. You don't have to worry about excess damage to the fish with the hook point up either. The hooks are small enough that there is never any hooking in the eyes or anything, especially when using the octopus style hook. At least I've never had any problem with that. Usually the fish are hooked right in the upper jaw.
-Nick

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 09:03:54 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners