Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Local grouse - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Local grouse  (Read 5817 times)

RSC

• View Profile
Local grouse
« on: September 26, 2012, 10:12:16 PM »
wondering if anybody has been out chasing grouse and could offer a few incites into how the population is this year? I hunted up in bc and had a pretty good year and i heard it was good around the west side of the state as well. Hopefully the wet spring didnt harm the hatch to much.

pips4bucks

• View Profile
Re: Local grouse
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:39:51 PM »
I haven't heard much yet about grouse, been too busy chasing elk and deer.  I'll put the feelers out and see what's the word on the street. 

I'm hoping to head up soon to do some bear hunting, so maybe I'll run into some grouse along the way.

RSC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 08:59:12 PM »
Today I hiked a little under 2 miles up a small logging road today from 1500 feet to 2700 feet. flushed 1 grouse which i missed and couldnt find after that. Hopefully ill get out a little longer next weekend and my aim will be better.

mrmg88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:45:27 PM »
I tried to hike Grouse Mountain in BC...  Petered out though and turned around about half way up...  My uncle use to hunt grouse in s alt lake area...  Good luck on the grousing...

stanleysteemer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 04:46:24 PM »
If you would have left out the part of failing to succeed on your hike, the story woulda been way cooler, Mr McMagglehoppin.  8)
social media icon

RSC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 08:52:06 PM »
put another 5 miles on my boots today hiking up a gated logging road, 600 to 1400 feet. Chased one bird through chest high brambles for a half hour without getting a shot, however on the way back down i did see a COUGAR  :o about 30 yards down the road as he emerged from a game trail, he stopped gave me a quick inspection and trotted off down the road. A half mile farther i caught up to him and watched him walk down the road about 50 yards ahead of me for another 15 seconds or so before he disapeared. Pretty cool experience , first time i have ever seen one of those guys in the wild.

WillyB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 01:39:09 PM »
I'm curious, do you just pick a logging trail and start looking right when the sun is coming up. I've always wanted to go grouse hunting. One of these days I'm going to go pick up my licence and some orange and go for it.

pips4bucks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 06:38:17 PM »
I'm curious, do you just pick a logging trail and start looking right when the sun is coming up. I've always wanted to go grouse hunting. One of these days I'm going to go pick up my licence and some orange and go for it.

That's pretty much what you do.  Catch them early when they're out picking up gravel.  I'm not sure you need to wear orange if you're out grouse hunting.  Although, if you're going to be out during modern rifle deer season it wouldn't be a bad idea.

RSC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 05:46:53 PM »
I find gated or otherwise non driveable logging roads and skid trails through reprod , generally above a thousand feet. The ruffs are more common in the lower areas with more maple and alder while the blues are higher up in the evergreens.

WillyB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 11:56:18 PM »
Finally gave grouse hunting a chance. I was unsuccessful, but because i couldn't get my shotgun out of my truck fast enough. i know it's better to get out and walk but there is a heck of a lot of logging road out there by sedro. definately a good substitute for fishing while the skagit is blown out. cant wait to give it another try and graduate to something bigger and better.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:02:18 AM by WillyB »

conlination

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 07:52:27 PM »
Was out Sunday morning looking for some grouse.  Closed logging roads up around 1400'.  Managed to flush 6 birds with only one giving a good shot.  Which I missed of course.  Seemed to be more in the area than last couple of years. 

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 07:52:27 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners