Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Any Thoughts on Egg Cures? - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Any Thoughts on Egg Cures?  (Read 8569 times)

SalmonCycle

• View Profile
Any Thoughts on Egg Cures?
« on: September 13, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »
Just wondering if anyone is willing to share there egg cure recipes.  I have found a couple of options online and the last batch I cured turned out real nice and is more durable than eggs I've done in the past, but I haven't caught any fish with them, yet.  Thanks.

fasteddie

• View Profile
Re: Any Thoughts on Egg Cures?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 05:37:57 PM »
great article on egg handling before you cure to get the most from your eggs in this months Salmon Trout Steelheader.  buy a copy or I can lend you mine if you want.  let me know
<*)))))><

Bootslayer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 08:14:22 PM »
Lots of different ways to cure eggs..

For steelies I like to brine them. Baits come out a little more durable.
Too many a$$holes on the river....and I might be one of em

gary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 09:58:32 PM »
i go by the book, commercially available cures.  just take them for what they are, people put a hell of a lot more time and expertise into them than joe schmoe did with his 'secret' cure.  firecure, boraxofire, procure.  done
DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS DIE.  EXECUTE THEM!

SalmonCycle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 01:04:37 AM »
great article on egg handling before you cure to get the most from your eggs in this months Salmon Trout Steelheader.  buy a copy or I can lend you mine if you want.  let me know

Got it. Thanks though. Think I might try a batch of store bought now.

pips4bucks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 10:47:02 PM »
My favorite is:

1 Cup Borax
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup non-iodized salt
1 Quart of water

Mix the ingredients in the warmed/hot water until they mostly dissolve.  Let cool. 
Take your eggs, either whole skeins or cut into bait sized pieces, add to the mixture and let them brine for NO MORE than 1 hour.  I usually go for 50-55 minutes.
Remove the eggs and let them dry on some old window screen or anything that allows good air flow around them.

I haven't played around with dyes or some of the other "fire" cures yet, but one of these days I'll get to it.

mrmg88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 06:30:13 PM »
Ok, I brined them...  I did one set with pautzke, one set with boraxk..  Put in the frig...  Three days now...  There is a lot of liquid still though...  Is this normal?  Do I now freeze them?   What about the juice?  Thanks

8)

SalmonCycle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 06:48:40 PM »
Ok, I brined them...  I did one set with pautzke, one set with boraxk..  Put in the frig...  Three days now...  There is a lot of liquid still though...  Is this normal?  Do I now freeze them?   What about the juice?  Thanks

8)

Did you dry them?  Sounds like you did what I did the first time and didn't allow enough time for them to drain and/or dry.  The last batch I dried overnight in my garage and they came out pretty tough almost too tough, but they fish much better than my first batch.  I would imagine you could still spread the clusters or skeins out and dry them now.  Then dust them with borax and the moisture should be gone.

mrmg88

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 07:05:54 PM »
Will give it a try... Thanks....

Appreciate the help...

SalmonCycle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »
Oh by the way don't think you need to freeze them afterward either.  I think the fridge is all that they need to stay fresh. 

mrmg88

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »
Another question for you curing knowledgable folks...  I can see boarding the boraxed eggs, but do I borax the pautzke eggs as well?  Will I ruin the pautzke cure? 

Thanks again...

gary

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 09:04:42 PM »
boarding the boraxed eggs?  boy.  also, you DO need to freeze your eggs that wont be utilized in the next month, regardless of what other people say.  they do go bad.  if you dont have a vacuum packer then fill up canning jars and freeze them.  you can give hot cures a coat of borax after you cut them up into baits, its fine
DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS DIE.  EXECUTE THEM!

mrmg88

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 06:24:03 AM »
Wow, that was bad...  I meant boraxiing, not boarding...

Thanks Gary,that's what I concluded as well...

Now, should I borax the pautzke as well?

Gracias...

AP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 10:33:02 AM »
I wouldn't unless you need to dry them out.  But if you really do need to dry them out, air dry them some more.  Sometimes you have to dry them, bag/can them, and then dry them some more after the moisture level evens back out. 

I have been known to do a light borax coating of eggs that use crazy dyes simply because the dye won't bleed off on your hands as much if there is a dusting of borax over the clusters.

Moisture level is largely preference but I'd say wetter/more gooey for salmon and softer water. 

SalmonCycle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 11:47:28 AM »
boarding the boraxed eggs?  boy.  also, you DO need to freeze your eggs that wont be utilized in the next month, regardless of what other people say.  they do go bad.  if you dont have a vacuum packer then fill up canning jars and freeze them.  you can give hot cures a coat of borax after you cut them up into baits, its fine

Guess I was misinformed about keeping them fresh.  Good to know they GO BAD in the fridge.  NO point in fishing BAD eggs.

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 11:47:28 AM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners