Fishwhatcom.com

cascades fly fishing steelhead ad whatcom county Petosa skagit river guide ad
The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom
Pink Steelhead Worms - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Pink Steelhead Worms  (Read 5511 times)

fishon

• View Profile
Pink Steelhead Worms
« on: December 03, 2009, 01:37:57 PM »
Hey everyone I want to start a topic on Pink Worms for steelhead. 

Came across this rigging technique from Petosa's Guide service. Looks like a good way to do it.

Who fishes pink steelhead worms? How do you rig and fish them?

http://www.petosafishing.com/pinkworm.html

Gone-Fishin

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pink Steelhead Worms
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 03:53:09 PM »
There are several different ways to rig them, but haven't tried enough to find which work better.

Also if you want to talk to Nick Petosa, he was working at Yeagers.

thedude

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 04:11:20 PM »
There are several different ways to rig them, but haven't tried enough to find which work better.

Also if you want to talk to Nick Petosa, he was working at Yeagers.
I was in Yeagers at lunch today talking with a really helpful guy (maybe Nick P?) who works there. Says he fishes the Skagit a lot with his drift boat. Anyways, He was telling me to use various colors of the worms. Articles I read about pink worms always refer to them as "pink", but that's just the generic term used to refer to steelhead worms is what I gather.
You probably already knew that, but I didn't. So I grabbed some bright red ones thinking they might stand out in less translucent waters.
The guy's really helpful if you want some advice on Skagit fishing...

GH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Google+
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 04:49:29 PM »
Sounds like the guy I met today as well, who was actually Nick Petosa. Nice guy. I bet you got the Mad River paddle tails.

patcap

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 04:52:43 PM »
bought a nice reel at yeagers today,stores like that and the people who work there are the reason i'll never go to wal mart again.

fishon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 05:01:33 PM »
Yeah, they have a pretty good selection of the pink worms at yeagers. Anyone fish them on a jig head? Heard that's a good way to do it to if you fish them under a float...

Gone-Fishin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 05:42:41 PM »
Anyone fish them on a jig head? Heard that's a good way to do it to if you fish them under a float...
[/b]

Not yet but was planning on tring that method this year.

here is video on a couple ways

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9lKaazWo94&feature=PlayList&p=1A503FA9937D245E&index=0&playnext=1

Petosa Guide

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 06:30:31 PM »
Yah if you were at Yeagers it was probably me who helped you out.. I work there sun,mon and tues and guide the rest of the week. The beauty of pink worms is there ability to cover large amounts of water quickly and correctly. Steelhead absolutly slam pink worms, most get to involved in just worms being pink altough i have caught Steelhead on just about every color inc. red, orange,cerise and methanolite.Aside from them being very effectice you can rig them on a jig head and float fish them as you would a jig. You can drift fish them as you  would eggs/ People ask me what the bite feels like and I reply "when you are drifting and your rod slams down so hard you jerk out of instinct, thats what a bite feels like!"

if you are going to buy Steelhead worms Mad river are the best bar none! There injection molding for the worms produces a firm plastic worm that stays on you line better than all other companies. Try them i put my name behind them.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 06:43:43 PM by Petosa Guide »

thedude

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 06:34:15 PM »
Sounds like the guy I met today as well, who was actually Nick Petosa. Nice guy. I bet you got the Mad River paddle tails.

Confirmed. I clicked on that link about the worms and figured it out. He didn't once mention the guide service, just talked boats since I have a drift boat as well. He told me some routes I should check out for this Sunday, as well as what to use. Got me loaded up on plugs, worms & jigs. Now all I need is some beer and something in the flask for the celebration......

Petosa Guide

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 06:38:17 PM »
pic

Petosa Guide

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 06:40:25 PM »
It was nice to meet you "The Dude"...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 06:42:38 PM by Petosa Guide »

thedude

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »
Yah if you were at Yeagers it was probably me who helped you out.. I work there sun,mon and tues and guide the rest of the week. The beauty of pink worms is there ability to cover large amounts of water quickly and correctly. Steelhead absolutly slam pink worms, most get to involved in just worms being pink altough i have caught Steelhead on just about every color inc. red, roange,cerise and methanolite.Asude from them being very effectice you can rig them on a jig head and float fish them as you would a jig. You can drift fish them as you  would eggs/ People ask me what the bite feels like and I reply "when you are drifting and your rod slams down so hard you jerk out of instinct, thats what a bite feels like!"

if you are going to buy Steelhead worms Mad river are the best bar none! There injection molding for the worms produces a firm plastic worm that stays on you line better than all other companies. Try them i put my name behind them.

Wow, what timing. Hey, thanks again for your help today, mang! This forum's a good place for you to share your knowledge.

Petosa Guide

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 06:57:25 PM »
No problem! And when I say "the dude" are you refering to Geoffry Lebowski?

thedude

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 07:24:42 PM »
No problem! And when I say "the dude" are you refering to Geoffry Lebowski?

You nailed it!

Camo Clad Warrior

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 02:27:18 AM »
Hello everyone. I am new here, but have been fishing for most of my life. I was turned on to this site the other day by Nick Petosa. :)

First off I would like to say that steelhead is the main topic of discussion here because it is that time of year. These worms work extremely well for humpies. I rigged them on a jig, under a float and have had great luck...But than again almost anything pink will do it.

CCW

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 02:27:18 AM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

DRYFT Fishing Waders ad
Fish Whatcom Forum Register