Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Attention Skagit River fisherman - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Attention Skagit River fisherman  (Read 4351 times)

Gone-Fishin

• View Profile
Attention Skagit River fisherman
« on: July 02, 2012, 08:03:39 PM »

Deli Dill

• View Profile
Re: Attention Skagit River fisherman
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 09:27:17 PM »
Thanks GF. "Specifically targeting" or just too dumb to know the difference. Same result, I guess.

Gone-Fishin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »
Thanks GF. "Specifically targeting" or just too dumb to know the difference. Same result, I guess.

I have heard about people fishing for kings in the lower river, but saying it was ok because they were c&r'ing.

RM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 09:37:30 PM »
It's funny how these "ESA" listed fish can be scooped up by the hundreds in gill nets and chaulked up to bi-catch with nothing said!
But A few are hooked by those big bad sport fishers and the run is going to come to a end.
What a bunch of B.S. WDFW!
I AM A FISHERMEN FOR LIFE
  I will always be a fishermen.
    It's not something I do,
     it is who I am.
  Where I am supposed to be.
     It is not a place,
  but a lifelong journey.
When you understand this,
    you will know me.
~unknown~

Deli Dill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 10:10:55 PM »
It's funny how these "ESA" listed fish can be scooped up by the hundreds in gill nets and chaulked up to bi-catch with nothing said!
But A few are hooked by those big bad sport fishers and the run is going to come to a end.
What a bunch of B.S. WDFW!

Yep. It's what happens when you're always last in line.

fishenfreak

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:40:39 PM »
thats another bulls**t rule that wont change anything from the WDFW. Ending ability to catch (without flossing) sockeye and will run into the coho season where eggs are deadly on the upper streches. Idiots

gary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 10:21:57 AM »
washington state is in the heart of salmon country, and historically had the runs to back it up.  now all we have the kind of runs that damages underwear.  why do our neighbors on both sides, BC and oregon, have much healthier stocks?  different management strategy.  until we (collectively) figure that out,  we will always be the skidmark on the underpants of the west coast salmon runs.  where i am going with this (in regard to the topic at hand) is we all hold the state and our 'co-managers' to make good decisions, and as long as i have been here, that just isnt happening.  get with the times, stop expecting logic.  as we speak there are nets draped fully across the baker river just below the trap.  they have been using monofilament nets below the baker river trap for millenia
DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS DIE.  EXECUTE THEM!

Deli Dill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 11:26:25 AM »
Can't argue with much of that, Gary. The state thrives on selling licenses to us dopes who will line up for two hours to catch a single F-ing sockeye from Baker Lake. Those proceeds then help finance the, uh, "co-management" of the resource, to the benefit of the tribes (who have notified Washington, DC that they're simply not getting enough cooperation with habitat restoration, btw.). Lather, rinse, repeat.

On the other hand, because of the legal situation, our state is constantly in the rock/hard place position. Fixing the mess will require something radical. here's an idea: Maybe it's time to start buying back tribal fishing rights, the same way the state bought back commercial licenses. We'll pay you x per year to not fish. Fine tradition of doing the same with the nation's farmers! I'm only halfway kidding.

fishenfreak

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 01:36:34 PM »
i also like how oregon and BC have VERY successful broodstock programs which are an amazingly successful idea and yet theres ton right across both our north and south borders and we have none, had one on the sol duc, but they destroyed it...

fullchromelogic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 11:07:14 PM »
Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but it doesnt appear that this regulation is in effect during any times where salmon retention is legal on the skagit...

Announcement states the following effective dates for the new regulation:

Mouth -> Mt Vernon                 July 5 - Aug 31
Mt Vernon -> Gilligan Creek     July 16 - Aug 31
Gilligan Creek -> Concrete       July 5 - Sep 15
Concrete -> Rockport               July 5 - Sep 15
Rockport -> Cascade                July 16 - Sep 15

The early season fisheries are closed before the regulations take effect, and the regulations end before the late fall fisheries open...

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 11:07:14 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners