Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
Skin on, or Skin off? - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: Skin on, or Skin off?  (Read 7238 times)

pips4bucks

• View Profile
Skin on, or Skin off?
« on: June 28, 2012, 11:19:12 PM »
So I was talking with a co-worker the other day and he has a couple relatives who are high-end chefs.  He said they told him that they never cook salmon with the skin on and they remove the grey flesh under the skin as well.  They say it gives the fish an "off" flavor, ruining it.

I've never noticed much difference, but I don't recall having any salmon cooked without the skin.  What do you guys think?  Do you cook it with the skin on or off?  Does it matter? 

With Stanley being the resident food critic I'm eager to hear his opinion.  Let's hear it!

stanleysteemer

• View Profile
Re: Skin on, or Skin off?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 07:05:14 AM »

With Stanley being the resident food critic I'm eager to hear his opinion.  Let's hear it!

Pipsibuck, This sounds like something a pretentious, anti-American sous chef WOULD say. Personally, I think you need some new friends. As for myself, I enjoy the skin. Sometimes I'll deep fat fry the skin by itself, and sprinkle some Johnny's seasoning salt on there. It's to die for! With all the greasy, slathery sloppin and boppin I do to prep the filets, the end result could be a Lk. Terrel large mouth, or a Copper River springer, one would never know the difference. I'm that good, ask anyone that's had it. My buddy, Phil can't get enough of my home cooking. That crazy fat bastard is always coming around like a chicken vulture trying to get my delicious home-cooking. I think there should be an annual FishWhatcom cook-off. I guarantee you that I know who the winner would be year after year. . . .
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:45:25 PM by stanleysteemer »
social media icon

mrmg88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 09:08:58 AM »
An America Sioux would not care about skin on or skin off (they would be accepting it either way to be polite).  A sous chef (prep cook/often cooking the entire meal) might complain.  A true Chef would find a way to cook what he has the best way that he or she could to bring out the best flavor period.  Well, it ain't no skin off my nose either way anyway... 

8)     

GH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Google+
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 09:12:11 AM »
I recorded an episode of Iron Chef America last week where to secret ingredient was, get this, CHUM SALMON! There was one dish where the skin was removed, but it was deep fried and used in another. Booby Flay roasted a whole chum. I doubt your buddy's uncle's cousin's girlfriend's boyfriend or what ever is more high end than the chef's on Iron Chef. So, to each his own I guess.

My daughter who just turned 5 today loves the "gray stuff" she calls it. Her mom can't stand it. I have heard that if you intend to freeze the fish it is recommended to scale or deskin (radio interview - Tiffany Haugen). Like I've said before, your mileage may vary.

video: http://eater.com/archives/2011/07/25/ashley-christensen-vs-bobby-flay-in-iron-chef-battle-chum-salmon.php

mrmg88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 02:53:10 PM »
We have bought salmon from friends of families in the country North from us...  It has almost always gone straight to the freezer whole...  I will ensure that they arestored better in the days to come...  I wonder why it would be better to freeze without theskin though...  Something tp ponder...

Thanks GH for the thought...

GH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Google+
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:06:36 PM »
In the interview it was said removing the scales or skin reduces the "fishy" taste.

gary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 06:10:59 PM »
what i do is start the fish out skin side down on a hot grill and close lid.  2 or 3 minutes later, flip the piece over,  then peel the cooked skin off with your fingers or tongs.  works super well, plus you get to season both sides without the added bullshit of skinning it in the kitchen.  after that i pretty much stare at the fish while pounding beers.  works pretty good
DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS DIE.  EXECUTE THEM!

Hoss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 02:28:28 PM »
I like Gary's answer. The truth about cooking salmon is if you're not doing it on a Weber kettle, you're not doing it right. I have never had restaurant salmon that tastes better than Weber salmon. If you have the time cedar plank is great; marinated in white wine or tequila and lemon or lime, with dill or cilantro and salt for an hour, put it on a soaked wet plank over indirect coals and don't open the lid for 40-50 min. The way I cook it more often is salted with kosher salt or your favorite seasoning(don't over do it, you are eating salmon), medium direct coals with a hot grill with a little oil on it, start with the flesh side down because it is still tough not flaky yet, close lid, in 5-8 min the flesh should release its grip on the grill, flip it and finish skin side down lid closed until its done, normally when you see the white stuff come or however you like it. Slip a flipper between the flesh and skin, lift and serve.

spoon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 04:23:17 PM »
Good question depends on the fish- Dakota/California Ck fish get that clammy taste from hanging out in the mud flats.  Skinning those fish improves them greatly. 

Otherwise I usually leave the skin on and love the grey stuff on the skins of smoked salmon.

AP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 04:42:16 PM »
Good question depends on the fish- Dakota/California Ck fish get that clammy taste from hanging out in the mud flats.

Wow.  I guess I can't prove you wrong but my BS meter sure moved.

gary

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 06:18:03 PM »
Good question depends on the fish- Dakota/California Ck fish get that clammy taste from hanging out in the mud flats.

Wow.  I guess I can't prove you wrong but my BS meter sure moved.
the cohos i have caught up at the cascade hatchery lately are the same way; flavor goes downhill when they hang out near the hatchery...
DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS DIE.  EXECUTE THEM!

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 06:18:03 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners