Fishwhatcom.com

The Confluence Fly Shop Bellingham for Fish Whatcom Savage Spinners
New thread - Skagit Sockeye - Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum

Author Topic: New thread - Skagit Sockeye  (Read 5513 times)

Cloudy

• View Profile
New thread - Skagit Sockeye
« on: June 27, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »
A friend and I went to the Skagit today.  Launched at 8 this am in Mt. Vernon.  Fished an hour or so just above the 536 bridge then ran up river.  Didn't connect until about 2 when my friend hooked up on a nice fish that I netted.  He then had another on briefly.  I followed with one on but we managed to loose it from the net, I had just mentioned that he was going to jump when he came up but he saved it for the net and sploosh, back he went.  Of course that was the biggest fish.  At the launch the warden said it was slow for most.  Out of 6 boats coming in at the time we were the only one that hooked any fish.  That's my story and I am going to stick with it.  Oh! yes, we were prepared to fly fish but decided that was a joke due to water clarity and limited number of fish passing through.  It was wing bobbers and sand shrimp day.  Be sure to take a big lunch and spend the day if you expect to connect.

Deli Dill

• View Profile
Re: New thread - Skagit Sockeye
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 08:06:30 PM »
Of, if you're plunking ... a big lunch and a good book!

Jborrell67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 11:03:07 PM »
As a book suggestion, pack the wonderful read "War and Peace" by Tolstoy, written and designed with the mindset and nature of sockeye fishing in the Skagit.  You will be so occupied by its gripping narrative that you will either forget that you're fishing for Skagit sockeye, or passed out asleep. 
"When you compare a form rod with one of those rubber asses with the vagina built into it, there really is not a big difference when you get down to the principles."
-stanleysteemer

Deli Dill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 11:39:24 PM »
Ha. That's for sure. I actually have "War and Peace" downloaded on my Kindle (it was free!). One of these days, I'll actually tap into it!

Jborrell67

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 11:49:14 PM »
Not to say it's a bad book, I own a copy (an inexpensive "Barnes and Noble classics" edition), it just takes quite a bit of time to get into. Free is not a bad price for classic literature.  :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:53:11 PM by Jborrell67 »
"When you compare a form rod with one of those rubber asses with the vagina built into it, there really is not a big difference when you get down to the principles."
-stanleysteemer

FourJFishing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 08:40:08 AM »
Well we managed to get 1 out of 3 fishing up river in a spot located near another spot. It has been slower the last few days. Its harder to catch them in the boats en less your rite on the bank because there running next to the bank. Also boats have been loosing more cause there soft and run into the current and spit that hook.

Deli Dill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 01:57:33 PM »
Well we managed to get 1 out of 3 fishing up river in a spot located near another spot. It has been slower the last few days. Its harder to catch them in the boats en less your rite on the bank because there running next to the bank. Also boats have been loosing more cause there soft and run into the current and spit that hook.

If it stays this slow, you're going to have to go to a spot next to the spot next to the other spot!

Cloudy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 04:39:29 PM »
Back down to the river today.  No fish but we saw more jumpers, mostly in 8 to 10 ft of water, where we were fishing was 4 to 5 ft.  Suspect fishing the deeper water you would be under the fish unless you have a way of controlling the debth.  The Indians are out of the river through Sunday so it may be a better opportunity this weekend.

Fernpatch Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 04:48:53 PM »
Anyone know a place to find the native netting schedule on the Skagit?

FourJFishing

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 08:15:26 PM »
Awww...another day! Another spot next to spot by the new spot! Another limit!

Fish Whatcom Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 08:15:26 PM »

Copyright © Fish Whatcom Forum

Fish Whatcom Forum Register
savagespinners